Bare bottom or is it?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUESTION: I am curious if anyone has ever placed shelf dry rock to try and cover the bottom of an aquarium. Essentially a somewhat level rock substrate made of flat dry rock. Then, cycle the tank with live rock atop as you normally would. Would you consider this bare bottom? Am I nuts?

BACKGROUND: I am returning to reef keeping after many years. The tank I am considering is around 36"L x 16"W with a 27 gallon display. So a long, not tall, tank. The flow will be fairly high for coral and I want a natural look. My idea is to consider something different because I do not love the three standard substrate options (or starboard either).

I prefer sand the least. It is messy from flow and from critter activity including the biggest critter regularly poking around in there - me. I understand it works well for most and looks natural. There is no debating that. It is not for me in this tank. When I have used sand in the past it was always courser (1-2 mm), shallow (less than an inch) and mostly for aesthetics.

Bare bottom tanks also work fine for many, and I have greatly considered it. I just do not personally want that look. That smooth encrusting growth over the glass bottom like a paint can spill is very cool, but not my vision for my aquarium.

When I started with reef tanks long ago crushed coral was all the rage and it worked great in my experience. My longest running tank was a 55 gallon reef with crushed coral I kept for six years that was fully moved twice with a very high survival rate. The tank had a lot of flow, metal halide lighting and a protein skimmer as the only filtration. There were few fish and I added a light amount of food once a week. I understand there is risk with any substrate though so not sure this is the best option now.

If I were to pick one of these three options right now I would pick a thin layer of crushed coral no more than 1" deep. I am probably used to that aesthetically. First I would arrange a simple base of dry rock to the left, then cover that with live rock halfway up the tank, place live rock a bit lower to the right, then add the thin layer of crushed coral to fill.

I understand many may want to comment a one line post that crushed coral is a death trap, but before you do consider, Did you use crushed coral? Were there many fish in the tank? Did you add food and substances daily? If you want to "con" crushed coral from experience, please do so, but include your bioload and feeding habits. This tank I envision will not have more than 2 fish if it has any. For that reason, my bioload will be low and I will feed very sparingly. This and regular, sectional vacuuming will lower the risk of the substrate. I love corals, shrimp and all of the little critters that work the reef. They will be the focus of this tank which will be grown PATIENTLY.

My question up top is me trying to find a better solution whatever that idea is worth. I welcome any thoughts and recommendations for different or unique substrate ideas that others may have tried. Thanks

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm talking about. Not sure tile is the answer but it is unique.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still thinking of new ideas. I have also seen people using frag tiles for their bottom.

I was against starboard at first, but now I am considering it. I am thinking black starboard with live rock on top, then use some shelf rock and rubble on top of the starboard to fill in and get a more natural look (but not too dense on the shelf and rubble).

Any other ideas or thoughts on this updated plan? Would love some feedback.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would add a quick note here. I am definitely going with black starboard. Funny, I did not like the idea at first, but it has grown on me pretty quickly.

I just set up a betta tank for my kids in a beautiful Aquamaxx 6.4 gallon aquarium. I decided to test out the black starboard. I then threw in $10 in frogbit and moss balls and attached a 5W LED light. Came out pretty nice.

5C8222A7-4EDA-485F-9416-5697D82B6534.jpeg

(is it illegal to post a freshwater image?)

Pretty quickly, it seems the whole family loves the black starboard. I was also okayed to start a marine tank so it seems my plan worked perfectly.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at them. Ended up with
www.boatoutfitters.com

I compared their samples to different aragonite sands and the “Sea Foam” option was always the closest in color.

I should mention I will want high flow in the reef and I liked the black better than white or glass. Live rock will be minimal and lower with some shelf rock to fill in some gaps.

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m one of the guys that did tile early on and had two tanks on another forum. Tile works okay if you use the right tile and do a good job of dealing under the tiles with silicone or something. The problem with it is it never really looks much better than a plain bare bottom. The tile tends to darken.

The problem with the live shelf rock Is over time you’ll find huge amount of funk trapped under it. You are defeating the purpose as a result.

Nowadays with my Zeo plus Chaeto tanks, I’m leaning towards sand though I confess my reef is bare bottom.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my worry about doing all shelf rock. I would more likely lay the live rock right on the starboard in a couple of longer islands with 3-4 long pieces of the shelf rock laying between them. Would be easy to lift them and hit with a turkey baster during water changes.

Thanks for the info about the tiles darkening.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much junk gets under the rocks you start getting issues with waste build up. My tank is getting a coralline algae growth all over the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally off topic, but I am updating the picture above of our freshwater betta tank. The frogbit really grew in.

“Feather” in his 6.4 gallon planted paradise:

FTS
132FC749-4918-4550-BDA5-B8439A004A19.jpeg

03718AA8-D517-4B40-9725-808808C6855B.jpeg

Top Down
C29BCDF9-CDBF-4DCA-9FB1-C8B56B463BB5.jpeg

Still enjoying the starboard bottom. We had to add a heater for the winter. The plants are the only filter and Ammonia always tests 0.

Last edited:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally off topic, but I am updating the picture above of our freshwater betta tank. The frogbit really grew in.

“Feather” in his planted 6.4 gallon planted paradise:

FTS

Top Down

Still enjoying the starboard bottom. We had to add a heater for the winter. The plants are the only filter and Ammonia always tests 0.

Very pretty, I've always had bad luck with bettas. They always end up with swim bladder and slowly going down hill.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“Feather” in his 6.4 gallon planted paradise:

FTS

Top Down

This is a super cute tank! I bet your betta is really happy with all that room.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a super cute tank! I bet your betta is really happy with all that room.

Thanks! He is over four years old I believe, so something is working. Seems to be on his last legs and his fins have gotten scraggly. Only eats 2-3 worms or pellets a day now as opposed to 6-7 most of his life.
538D6AFC-AA92-49A5-BC8B-2BC040A9E821.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back