"Bare" fry tanks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brian W
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
1,376
Reaction score
1,001
Location
Arlington
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people only put a heater and an airstone in a fry tank?

It seems like every article and video I see no one uses a sponge or anything to help combat ammonia and nitrate issues during the fry's stay in their first tank.

Why is this? I'm sure there is a good reason.. The pnly thing I can think of is that the small fry will get trapped in any extra item that is in the tank besides the heater.

I have eggs that should hatch Sunday night and I am planning on placing a bag of ceramic media that has been in one of my other tanks for a good 6 months so its pretty populated with beneficial bacteri.
 
Why do people only put a heater and an airstone in a fry tank?

It seems like every article and video I see no one uses a sponge or anything to help combat ammonia and nitrate issues during the fry's stay in their first tank.

Why is this? I'm sure there is a good reason.. The pnly thing I can think of is that the small fry will get trapped in any extra item that is in the tank besides the heater.

I have eggs that should hatch Sunday night and I am planning on placing a bag of ceramic media that has been in one of my other tanks for a good 6 months so its pretty populated with beneficial bacteri.


Because stuff like sponges are a good place for the fry to get trapped or injured and die leading to ammonia. They are so delicate.
Sponge filters will also suck in the food you are trying to keep in great enough concentrations.
 
Last edited:
Because stuff like sponges are a good place for the fry to get trapped and die leading to ammonia.
Sponge filters will also suck in the food you are trying to keep in great enough concentrations.

Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks.

I wonder if some Live sand from the parent tank would help out of just not be worth it..
 
Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks.

I wonder if some Live sand from the parent tank would help out of just not be worth it..

Problem is you want to be able to clean the bottom so sand would inhibit that..
Most of the dead rotifers will fall to the bottom and so does all the waste from rots, copepods, fish or even rotting algae.
 
Problem is you want to be able to clean the bottom so sand would inhibit that..
Most of the dead rotifers will fall to the bottom and so does all the waste.

Did not think of that. Thanks!
 
You don't want nitrfying bacteria in with rotifers. People add a sponge filter once the clowns are weaned off rotifers
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new