"Bare" fry tanks

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people only put a heater and an airstone in a fry tank?

It seems like every article and video I see no one uses a sponge or anything to help combat ammonia and nitrate issues during the fry's stay in their first tank.

Why is this? I'm sure there is a good reason.. The pnly thing I can think of is that the small fry will get trapped in any extra item that is in the tank besides the heater.

I have eggs that should hatch Sunday night and I am planning on placing a bag of ceramic media that has been in one of my other tanks for a good 6 months so its pretty populated with beneficial bacteri.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do people only put a heater and an airstone in a fry tank?

It seems like every article and video I see no one uses a sponge or anything to help combat ammonia and nitrate issues during the fry's stay in their first tank.

Why is this? I'm sure there is a good reason.. The pnly thing I can think of is that the small fry will get trapped in any extra item that is in the tank besides the heater.

I have eggs that should hatch Sunday night and I am planning on placing a bag of ceramic media that has been in one of my other tanks for a good 6 months so its pretty populated with beneficial bacteri.

Because stuff like sponges are a good place for the fry to get trapped or injured and die leading to ammonia. They are so delicate.
Sponge filters will also suck in the food you are trying to keep in great enough concentrations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because stuff like sponges are a good place for the fry to get trapped and die leading to ammonia.
Sponge filters will also suck in the food you are trying to keep in great enough concentrations.

Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks.

I wonder if some Live sand from the parent tank would help out of just not be worth it..

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks.

I wonder if some Live sand from the parent tank would help out of just not be worth it..

Problem is you want to be able to clean the bottom so sand would inhibit that..
Most of the dead rotifers will fall to the bottom and so does all the waste from rots, copepods, fish or even rotting algae.

president89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want nitrfying bacteria in with rotifers. People add a sponge filter once the clowns are weaned off rotifers

Back