Barndoor for Kessil H80

  • Thread starter Thread starter RobertK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RobertK

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
874
Reaction score
974
Location
NorCal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a barndoor for a Kessil H80 refugium light? This would be to go over an in-sump refugium, to limit light spilling over to the skimmer compartment. I looked online but there are so many different barndoors I didn't know how to pick the right one for this light. Thanks!
 
Thanks. Yes they are for photo/video lighting. I'd like to find one with an opening for a round light the same diameter as the Kessil.
 
Yes, thank you. I saw that, there's others on ebay and etsy too. I might end up with one of those, but I'd rather find a barndoor that fits the Kessil, as it is adjustable and will focus the light in a square area rather than round like those shades.
 
Oh I understand better now. Unfortunately I dont know of anything. Maybe try contacting them and see if they could make you something not sure if they do custom stuff. I believe there are members on here with 3d printer also that might be able to make you something but I dont recall who they are. Good luck
 
Well, I answered my own question. Here's what I got in case anyone's interested. Its an Aperture 8-leaf CF4 barndoor, $45 on Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B0DPFFTPGG
Its just the right size for the Kessil H80. I attached it with 4 zipties:

IMG_5753.JPG


My sump's not set up right now; I have the light attached to a mockup of the sump I'm getting, it measures 34x15x15" for reference. Here's the light without the barndoor:

IMG_5746.jpg


Here it is with the barndoor wide open:

IMG_5748.jpg


And here it is with the barndoor closed down part way:

IMG_5750.jpg


I think its a keeper! That should keep most of the light in the refugium compartment and limit what gets into the skimmer compartment. I still might experiment with one of the 3D-printed shades, but I like that this one is adjustable. Now all I need is an aquarium with a sump!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new