Baseball!

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to see if there were any baseball fans here who wanted to weigh in on the upcoming season, recent rule changes, or recent controversy related to sign stealing.

Obviously I’m a Cubs fan, and I’m hoping they turn things around. I think they’re still the best team in the NL central, but that’s obviously debatable considering last seasons results.

New rule changes as far as the 3 batter min makes me think we’ll be debating whether or not a pitcher can leave the game and if he deserves a suspension for claiming an injury when people suspect it’s not there. I think it’s bad for the game and won’t speed it up much.

As far as sign stealing goes concerning the Astros, I think that they need to do more. I’d go as far as stripping the championship and suspending offending players for a season. IMO it’s the worst offense in baseball since the black Sox scandal.

what say you r2r? Got a team? NL DH sounds like it might be a season away. Want to let my opinions have it? I’m open minded. Hate baseball all together? I’m happy to hear it all. I think the upcoming season is going to be very interesting.

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brewers fan here!

As far as the new rules and how it will or won't speed up the game. I agree that one or two rule changes is only going to reduce game time by a few minutes. I love baseball but the game is to long. Even if a rule change only reduces the game time by one minute it is worth doing. I think MLB needs to find a way to reduce game time by 5 minutes every year until it is on par with football and hockey.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life long Giants fan! Will never forget the bay bridge world series and the quake.
I used to go to candlestick park in the
early 80' when thier would be 400 fans in the stadium. Friends at home listening to the game could hear us yelling for beer on the radio. Those were the days!

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life long Giants fan! Will never forget the bay bridge world series and the quake.
I used to go to candlestick park in the
early 80' when thier would be 400 fans in the stadium. Friends at home listening to the game could hear us yelling for beer on the radio. Those were the days!
I live close. Been to a bunch of games including the playoff games with the cubs in 2016. The giants are my second NL team. I’ve got a ton of friends that are fans. Got to watch them enjoy those championships. Great baseball.
I can’t say enough nice things about giants fans. Walking home after the cubs won that last game was really cool. A lot of “time to get yours” and high fives. Great baseball.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you knew I would chime in.
I like 3 batter min. It will cause arguments throughout the seasons as I’m sure it’s not going to go over well. Wait, does this mean closers have to hit all three outs in the 9th? Either way I like it, I hate that a righty gets brought in the take out a batter than they hit the bench.

I think they should reverse the NL DH and get rid of DH in both leagues. Make your pitchers hit. Not just be any easy out. I saw Clayton Kershaw go yard. And King Felix hit a grand slam once. They are athletes after all let them figure out how to hit the ball, or bunt! I’m a big bunt fan. “Small Ball” as I was taught when I played is effective sometimes.

sign stealing scandal needs to go away.Bad move Astros, your no good at apologizing. League won’t suspend players because the players union will have a cow. Let’s all drop it and move on. Don’t get me wrong I am as upset as anyone else is about it. But we have seen what we are going to get out of it. So let’s drop it and get back to the game. It’s already been A giant cloud over everything else baseball related. So let’s just end the relationship and start dating again. Stros are in my division (Mariner fan) so I already hated them anyway.

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brewers fan here!

As far as the new rules and how it will or won't speed up the game. I agree that one or two rule changes is only going to reduce game time by a few minutes. I love baseball but the game is to long. Even if a rule change only reduces the game time by one minute it is worth doing. I think MLB needs to find a way to reduce game time by 5 minutes every year until it is on par with football and hockey.
Brewers were my AL team until they became a rival. I can’t say they’re not a threat to the Cubs. Seems like they’re laying off like the Cubs though. Reds are coming up. They made the best moves. Pirates seem to be out. Cardinals are gonna do what the cardinals do. Consistently a threat.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lucky/old enough to remember going to Giant games with my dad and watching Willie Mays play. Grew up in San Jose.
I now live 200 miles north and dont get to many games anymore.
I had season tickets for years in the 80-90's.
Been to may A's games too but am a NL fan at heart.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like 3 batter min. It will cause arguments throughout the seasons as I’m sure it’s not going to go over well. Wait, does this mean closers have to hit all three outs in the 9th? Either way I like it, I hate that a righty gets brought in the take out a batter than they hit the bench.

I think they should reverse the NL DH and get rid of DH in both leagues. Make your pitchers hit. Not just be any easy out. I saw Clayton Kershaw go yard. And King Felix hit a grand slam once. They are athletes after all let them figure out how to hit the ball, or bunt! I’m a big bunt fan. “Small Ball” as I was taught when I played is effective sometimes.

sign stealing scandal needs to go away.Bad move Astros, your no good at apologizing. League won’t suspend players because the players union will have a cow. Let’s all drop it and move on. Don’t get me wrong I am as upset as anyone else is about it. But we have seen what we are going to get out of it. So let’s drop it and get back to the game. It’s already been A giant cloud over everything else baseball related. So let’s just end the relationship and start dating again. Stros are in my division (Mariner fan) so I already hated them anyway.
Not a DH fan either or changes to the traditional but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great point on going against the right handed or left handed hitter. Maybe it leads to more hits. That could make the game go longer. More runs is fun.

I think we wait around for a lot of TV timeouts in sports. Cutting ads would speed up the game. They could put the business on the jersey like soccer, but I would hate that. I think most people would.
I didn’t watch the XFL games, but I heard the moves they made to shorten the game haven’t worked out

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thread! I love baseball just as much as reefing actually, but I will wholeheartedly admit that I am a Houstonian/Astros fan. Born and raised on the Astros. It is upsetting with everything going on...they are all guilty...yes. The fans here in Houston are heartbroken about it, losing our manager, talks of stripping our championship, etc. It has been really sad for baseball in Houston lately! We will move on from all of this though, with or without a championship, and live to play another day. I will say, that I am excited to see what good ole Dusty Baker has in store for us this year. He is a great manager, and is used to dealing with cheaters, right Barry? Haha sorry, bad joke of the day! Play ball! :)

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forgot to hit on your DH comment. I’m totally with you here. Pitchers getting one for their cause is awesome. I guess if you watch the AL all the time because that’s where your team is at, it doesn’t give the same effect. I’d love to see it dropped from the AL.

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thread! I love baseball just as much as reefing actually, but I will wholeheartedly admit that I am a Houstonian/Astros fan. Born and raised on the Astros. It is upsetting with everything going on...they are all guilty...yes. The fans here in Houston are heartbroken about it, losing our manager, talks of stripping our championship, etc. It has been really sad for baseball in Houston lately! We will move on from all of this though, with or without a championship, and live to play another day. I will say, that I am excited to see what good ole Dusty Baker has in store for us this year. He is a great manager, and is used to dealing with cheaters, right Barry? Haha sorry, bad joke of the day! Play ball! :)
Oh man. Much love. It’s just baseball in the end. The fans didn’t do anything but send all the love they could. I’d like to think if it was the Cubs in 2016, I’d feel the same way. In Dusty we trusty. He can be an arm killer for pitchers. I seent it!

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And we should let Barry have it. Not because of the baseball, but because my good buddy is a huge Giants fan and when he was a little kid Barry had a chance to sign autographs while going into the dugout for a bunch of little kids. Didn’t even stop and wave. I’ve read stories that support it was a regular thing. He’s still one of the greatest to ever play the game. It’s a shame that his PED violations compromise what could have been a hall of fame career anyway.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss loogys already. As much as I love baseball I dislike mlb more and more each passing change. That being said I’ll provably still watch about 140-150 blue jay games in 2020 but if they really add more playoff teams I think I’ll be done. It will just encourage more tanking and less great teams.

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss loogys already. As much as I love baseball I dislike mlb more and more each passing change. That being said I’ll provably still watch about 140-150 blue jay games in 2020 but if they really add more playoff teams I think I’ll be done. It will just encourage more tanking and less great teams.
Blue jays coming up! I’m with you on extending the playoffs. More divisions was good. The wildcard was good. That’s as far as it needs to go. Can’t make it cheap.

had some weird edits there

Last edited:

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can imagine how ya feel. Although I have been an Astros hater sense they came over that’s only because you have dominated our division. Even when the M’s were at there best you were still better. Which is why I wish this stealing nonsense would just go away. Everyone said they were in the wrong, some people lost jobs. But for real! It is what it is at this point. Ole Dusty will prove a point. Altuve, Bregman, Yuli, Reddick, Springer, Verlander... y’all are stacked. I hate it but ya are. But in all the games we play you we will win some and have you know I’ll be cheering at home when you loose to us and I won’t be thinking about sign stealing at all.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you all have rings. I’ve been a mariner fan all my life. Still lookin for a World Series ring. Or even a playoff game! Last time they were there was 97 I think. (Don’t quote me on that) in 97 I was 14 years old, couldn’t make it to a game. I as a fan want to get there and see it live.

OP
OP
CubsFan

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can imagine how ya feel. Although I have been an Astros hater sense they came over that’s only because you have dominated our division. Even when the M’s were at there best you were still better. Which is why I wish this stealing nonsense would just go away. Everyone said they were in the wrong, some people lost jobs. But for real! It is what it is at this point. Ole Dusty will prove a point. Altuve, Bregman, Yuli, Reddick, Springer, Verlander... y’all are stacked. I hate it but ya are. But in all the games we play you we will win some and have you know I’ll be cheering at home when you loose to us and I won’t be thinking about sign stealing at all.
There is no denying the talent. The Astros have some of the best players in MLB and I have no doubt they will be very competitive this year. My best pal is from Washington. He’s a big Ms fan, but it’s mostly nostalgia. Saw they’ve got some good prospects. You got vogelbomb. He was one of my favorite minors guys in the cubs system. That trade worked out nice for both teams I’d say.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned before, in the end, it’s just a game. Believe me, we have all tried to rationalize on “why”, but it is depressing. At the time(2017), we were all too excited about everything to realize how the &$@% the Astros hit like 5 or 6 back-to-back homers in a game. I think it was the World Series. I have been watching baseball for 35 years. That does not happen! Crazy. Anyways, hard to be excited about the upcoming year, but hey, maybe hot dogs and beer will be $1. Woot! :)

Back