Basement frag tank

basementreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WIFE SAID NO MORE TANKS UPSTAIRS
that’s my own fault drips on the floor doing maintenance dogs drinking out or knocking over the ATO reservoir ,fish stuff on the dining room table so I moved to the basement starting a new project my first frag tank
deep blue 36x18x12 tank ($300)
Aqueon 20l with octo aquatics sump baffles($70 ish)
Syncra 3.0 return ($120)
200w BRS heaters ($150)
Bubble magus curve 3 extreme skimmer($200)
Viparspectra reef 165 ($200)
Marine pure balls and plate ($60)
Plumbing parts ($100ish)
DIY gravity fed ato ($40)
AEDB438A-5FEF-43C8-A28D-EEECFF0E37B5.jpeg
76B2F7EB-1485-4A7F-8F02-438350F669F7.jpeg

This has already sent me a few obstacles #1 I’ve only ever owned AIO tanks I’ve never had a sump I’m a construction foreman so plumbing wasn’t issue but planning baffle locations was kind of stressful luckily LFS owner had a lot of insight of how to lay everything out
#2 All together it took about 35 gallons to fill even before I added media and skimmer which was a little disappointing the tank was labeled 34 gallons and with the sump I was hoping to be more closer to 50 gallons total
#3 this tank was thirsty let tank run with just r.o to test and to clean out from pvc glue and then drained and refilled my other two tanks I top off weekly by hand once a week but the return chamber of this would be gurgling by the time I got home from work think I may have made the return chamber to tight so I made a 5gal gravity fed ato with a float valve so far it’s working great
#4 this skimmer has become my new enemy I just can’t get it right I’ve raised it 4” it still over flows tonight i set it back to recommend depth of8” and LFS owner suggested using a air valve he game me to use on top the air silencer hopefully ot makes a difference he also thinks since I’m starting the tank on Red Sea reef mature program and currently on day 3 the no3:po4x is having a effect on the skimmer

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new adventure! It is normal for a skimmer to go through a break in period for a week or two. There are several ways to work through this including just letting it overflow (or taking off the skimmer cup and letting it overflow). Another approach is that you can turn it all the way down and, if needed, temporarily raise the height for shallower water depth. I'm sure others have other approaches as well. Good luck with whatever you choose!

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya if its a new skimmer just take the cup off and let it run wild for a few days then try putting the cup back on it

the new plastic has cooties that need to come off first before it will work.. you could use mild acid like vineagar or citric acid to wipe the skimmer down, but just running it for a few days it will get a biofilm and work .

if its a new tank you wont get much skimmate the first few weeks till you get some food and bio activity going there is little waste yet

OP
OP
basementreef

basementreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice ! adding the air valve lastnight and reducing the air intake and closing the wedge pipe slightly the cup did not overflow lastnight and seems to have plug of large bubbles moving slowly up and down but not constantly spilling over hopefully it’s working Ile post a picture later

I was told to let it overflow first few days and I did for a day but I was concerned the Red Sea mature instructions state system must have skimmer and I don’t wana ruin the process however I have read other bottle bacteria like microbacter and fritz turbo to stop skimmers during use so I guess it really doesn’t have much effect?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WIFE SAID NO MORE TANKS UPSTAIRS
that’s my own fault drips on the floor doing maintenance dogs drinking out or knocking over the ATO reservoir ,fish stuff on the dining room table so I moved to the basement starting a new project my first frag tank
deep blue 36x18x12 tank ($300)
Aqueon 20l with octo aquatics sump baffles($70 ish)
Syncra 3.0 return ($120)
200w BRS heaters ($150)
Bubble magus curve 3 extreme skimmer($200)
Viparspectra reef 165 ($200)
Marine pure balls and plate ($60)
Plumbing parts ($100ish)
DIY gravity fed ato ($40)
AEDB438A-5FEF-43C8-A28D-EEECFF0E37B5.jpeg
76B2F7EB-1485-4A7F-8F02-438350F669F7.jpeg

This has already sent me a few obstacles #1 I’ve only ever owned AIO tanks I’ve never had a sump I’m a construction foreman so plumbing wasn’t issue but planning baffle locations was kind of stressful luckily LFS owner had a lot of insight of how to lay everything out
#2 All together it took about 35 gallons to fill even before I added media and skimmer which was a little disappointing the tank was labeled 34 gallons and with the sump I was hoping to be more closer to 50 gallons total
#3 this tank was thirsty let tank run with just r.o to test and to clean out from pvc glue and then drained and refilled my other two tanks I top off weekly by hand once a week but the return chamber of this would be gurgling by the time I got home from work think I may have made the return chamber to tight so I made a 5gal gravity fed ato with a float valve so far it’s working great
#4 this skimmer has become my new enemy I just can’t get it right I’ve raised it 4” it still over flows tonight i set it back to recommend depth of8” and LFS owner suggested using a air valve he game me to use on top the air silencer hopefully ot makes a difference he also thinks since I’m starting the tank on Red Sea reef mature program and currently on day 3 the no3:po4x is having a effect on the skimmer
Best of Luck with the new frag tank!!!

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
certain additives to your tank or home will make your skimmer go crazy with foam. Carpet fresh is one item you wont want to use unless you like lots of bubbles lol......... you wont hurt your tank to be skimmerless for a few days .. no worries there.

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Honestly I would recommend not running the skimmer until you actually have those nutrients in the water you’re gonna need to feed the corals, then start skimming. Once you have some bio load then get the skimmer going.

OP
OP
basementreef

basementreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would recommend not running the skimmer until you actually have those nutrients in the water you’re gonna need to feed the corals, then start skimming. Once you have some bio load then get the skimmer going.

interesting I have cycled 4 tanks previously and never had a skimmer ever and I know some bottles say do not use the skimmer during. But I’m just following Red Sea mature instructions I have no high hopes that it will be completed in 21 days but just wanted to give another product a shot…..Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the bacto start I’ve dosed on day 2 simulate a bioload?

OP
OP
basementreef

basementreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it be appropriate to show off my saltwater mixing station it’s about 2 years old now and has made water changes so much easier I’m excited about using this on the frag tank because it’s located right behind it NO BUCKETS!!!!

(2) 10gall norwesco tanks
BRS 7 stage rodi system
200w aqueon
Panworld 30 external pump

the heater and pump I have wired up to be switch controlled for easy on off I can only get about 9gallons out of the container bulkhead is high and tank holds about 1/2 gal or more at the bottom the tanks get broken down and power washed every 3 months the salt mix tank tends to get some nasty build up on the bottom I’ve been told it’s the instant ocean salt I use almost 3.5 lbs of instant ocean per mix to get salinity 1.026 Currently between my other two tanks I make salt once a week but may have to do more or upgrade soon with the addition of frag tank also thinking about changing salt mix possibly
1126CA79-A78E-4353-98CF-39215692BE04.jpeg

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
interesting I have cycled 4 tanks previously and never had a skimmer ever and I know some bottles say do not use the skimmer during. But I’m just following Red Sea mature instructions I have no high hopes that it will be completed in 21 days but just wanted to give another product a shot…..Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the bacto start I’ve dosed on day 2 simulate a bioload?
I could be over thinking but I feel like that bio load that you have started is nothing compared to a daily feeding, and fish pooping. Do you plan on having a decent livestock in there?

OP
OP
basementreef

basementreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be over thinking but I feel like that bio load that you have started is nothing compared to a daily feeding, and fish pooping. Do you plan on having a decent livestock in there?
Not really basic CUC plan is to start with a lawnmower Benny then later on sixline Love to have a small tang but that’s just not going to happen

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not really basic CUC plan is to start with a lawnmower Benny then later on sixline Love to have a small tang but that’s just not going to happen
Serpent star do really good job if you're doing a sand bed. Id suggest a Tomini, I have one in every tank in our shop and they put in work.

OP
OP
basementreef

basementreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update I have quit the Sea mature program on day 14 just nothing was happening test results were off the charts ammonia was high nitrites undetectable fear of a stall and wasting time i did a water change and basically started over again with good ole dr Tim’s and shut down the skimmer for now it’s been a week and finally seeing a spike in nitrite and some signs of life
68B1984A-A9AE-40E6-84C6-EEF289821F6B.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back