Basement Sump Plumbing Question

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

Quick question for the group. I'm in the process of working out the plumbing to locate my sump in my basement fish room, with the display tank on the 1st floor in my home office. In order to make this work, both the return and drain lines will need to run parallel to the fish room, for about 10 feet, then a 90 degree turn for about 10 feet, then another 90 degree turn into the fish room. For the return pump, I have an Abyzz A-200. The drain and return lines are 1"

My concern is, I don't have the ability to slope the drain pipe, and it will run roughly level with the basement ceiling for its entire length, before a vertical drop of about 6 feet into the sump. Will this present a problem? I could re-purpose my Vectra pump to go on the drain line, to help move the water, but not sure if that is necessary?

Any advice is appreciated!

dvp95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in the basement with no issues. They all run vertical through walls or horizontal through ceilings. Mine goes up about 6 feet to the ceiling, horizontal about 12 feet, then vertical 2 feet over a vent, 6 more feet horizontal, then finally 6 feet to the DT without issues. I use a Jebao 20000 pump as my return pump. I also have another of the same pump in the intake section of my sump to help remove water for easier water changes which also serves as a backup in case my main pump goes out. No issues so far for the 1 year I have had the tank.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in the basement with no issues. They all run vertical through walls or horizontal through ceilings. Mine goes up about 6 feet to the ceiling, horizontal about 12 feet, then vertical 2 feet over a vent, 6 more feet horizontal, then finally 6 feet to the DT without issues. I use a Jebao 20000 pump as my return pump. I also have another of the same pump in the intake section of my sump to help remove water for easier water changes which also serves as a backup in case my main pump goes out. No issues so far for the 1 year I have had the tank.

Awesome! This puts my mind at ease, thank you!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back