Basic Apex Question

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an Apex system. I was curious as to why all of the mounting boards that I have seen from people basically just have the various components that come with the Apex kit, but I never see the DC controls for return pump, skimmer etc? Are they not needed at all? Does Apex control the speed of the return pump as well as well as the speed of the DC pump inside my skimmer?

I also have an Orphek Atlantic Icon LED light, I assume that I should program Apex for the light schedule instead of the Orphek app?

Thanks.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is no, the apex itself won’t control the flow rates for DC pumps or skimmers. It likely controls the COR 15 or 20 pumps, but it won’t control off brand pumps’ flow rates other than turning it off and on with the power centre.
Most of us have built a second wall with the power bars and controllers on it to keep it tidy and off the bottom of the stand.
It’s great to program for heaters, feed cycles and lights if your lights don’t have their own App to control them.

Last edited:

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an Apex system. I was curious as to why all of the mounting boards that I have seen from people basically just have the various components that come with the Apex kit, but I never see the DC controls for return pump, skimmer etc? Are they not needed at all? Does Apex control the speed of the return pump as well as well as the speed of the DC pump inside my skimmer?

I also have an Orphek Atlantic Icon LED light, I assume that I should program Apex for the light schedule instead of the Orphek app?

Thanks.
If you connect it with the 0-10v cable that connects to what looks like an Ethernet port on the apex, that’ll give you 0-100% control of any dc pump. I used this to control my regal 150sss, as well as a varios 2 return pump. I think this is what you are asking?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its because they are all hiding the power bricks behind the cabnet or out of view, and only leaving the blingy stuff up front to view.

Its like PC Building, you hide the wires and let the RGB / Components shine, because no one wants to see a packrat nest of wiring.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

I have no issue using the controls from the pump and skimmer. I assume since there is a on/off for the lights, I can use that, but then use the app for the lights in terms of colors and intensity.

I'm not sure I get the love for mounting pretty for view. I would rather hide it. I guess it is akin to buying a lot of chrome for your Harley. No function other than looks.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an Apex system. I was curious as to why all of the mounting boards that I have seen from people basically just have the various components that come with the Apex kit, but I never see the DC controls for return pump, skimmer etc?

It depends on the hobbyist and how much space they have available to work with. I mean if it is a control board, organization, or what have you one still has to do basic things at some point. So no reason to hide it or keep it on its own panel. At least as I see it. I have non controller drivers on my board. Doesn't matter to me.

Are they not needed at all? Does Apex control the speed of the return pump as well as well as the speed of the DC pump inside my skimmer?

Shortest answer is that Neptune / Apex can only control products within its ecosystem or products that integrate using their IOTA layer. An example would be Sicce stream powerheads or Kessil a360x / a500x lighting. There are others but these are the two I have used or using now.

Neptune gear, mobius devices via MXM module, or integration with Neptunes IOTA API.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the hobbyist and how much space they have available to work with. I mean if it is a control board, organization, or what have you one still has to do basic things at some point. So no reason to hide it or keep it on its own panel. At least as I see it. I have non controller drivers on my board. Doesn't matter to me.

Shortest answer is that Neptune / Apex can only control products within its ecosystem or products that integrate using their IOTA layer. An example would be Sicce stream powerheads or Kessil a360x / a500x lighting. There are others but these are the two I have used or using now.

Neptune gear, mobius devices via MXM module, or integration with Neptunes IOTA API.
I did buy the MXM module so I can control the MP40 and the AI Orbit Cross Flow. Will one MXM module control both, or do I need two?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy the MXM module so I can control the MP40 and the AI Orbit Cross Flow. Will one MXM module control both, or do I need two?

My understanding is that you will only need one. Please check the documentation to be sure though. I have one MXM module but I only use it for the Orbit 4's. Everything else is using the IOTA layer. Kessil a360x and Sicce XD Stream powerhead.

Taking a quick look at the product page it appears that you can connect many devices to one MXM module.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that you will only need one. Please check the documentation to be sure though. I have one MXM module but I only use it for the Orbit 4's. Everything else is using the IOTA layer. Kessil a360x and Sicce XD Stream powerhead.

Taking a quick look at the product page it appears that you can connect many devices to one MXM module.
Thanks.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.
Wow its like you have the same equipment as I do. Are you also doing a cube build lol
As other poster stated you can control your pumps with the additional imput from like a varios pump ..
For me I have the Varios 4 for return and 2 for skimmer and I have just been using the pump control if I want to adjust. I may use that other control feature in the future.
I have an atlantik I just put on and will add it to my apex soon for now I just have it on one of my ADJ swithces.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow its like you have the same equipment as I do. Are you also doing a cube build lol
As other poster stated you can control your pumps with the additional imput from like a varios pump ..
For me I have the Varios 4 for return and 2 for skimmer and I have just been using the pump control if I want to adjust. I may use that other control feature in the future.
I have an atlantik I just put on and will add it to my apex soon for now I just have it on one of my ADJ swithces.
I think I struck gold. I hung my Atlantik Icon from the ceiling and there happened to be a stud exactly where I hung it. :)

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I struck gold. I hung my Atlantik Icon from the ceiling and there happened to be a stud exactly where I hung it. :)
I got the "universal mount" and besides it not fitting (had to buy bolts) now due to my perimeter bracing and overflow box it is not centered.. Driving me crazy. yeah you lucked out !!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back