Basic Reef Photography

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful new tank. I am a very experienced photographer and I just need some basic information. How are you guys getting such beautiful photos? Mine are all blue and lack contrast or color. Please give me basic settings. Are you all are using Lightroom?

I'm sure there is already an article on this. Can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Brittany

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful new tank. I am a very experienced photographer and I just need some basic information. How are you guys getting such beautiful photos? Mine are all blue and lack contrast or color. Please give me basic settings. Are you all are using Lightroom?

I'm sure there is already an article on this. Can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Brittany
Hi, are you using a top down tube yet? Or are you shooting through the glass? Also what do you shoot with?
Funny enough this is a topic we can help you out with lol

OP
OP
Brittanyjo

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, are you using a top down tube yet? Or are you shooting through the glass? Also what do you shoot with?
Funny enough this is a topic we can help you out with lol
What is a top down tube? Perhaps that's what I need. :rolleyes:
I have an iphone, but also have a Nikon 800 with lens that go to F2.8.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a simple phone clip on lens? Actual photo from my iPhone.

A8735329-F06A-4FEF-A644-C9B992207384.jpeg

Last edited:

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a top down tube? Perhaps that's what I need. :rolleyes:
I have an iphone, but also have a Nikon 800 with lens that go to F2.8.
With the iphone you can get a polyp labs V2 lens that will do most of what you'd like to do I bet(sharing your reef, coming fairly close to true-to-life photos, etc). Additionally its just like $35 instead of having to get more dedicated equipment. Iphone does this weird thing where it will color correct for you so you'll want to turn off the ambient light or shoot when theres not of light bleed through
Now if you want to start using the camera(Which I always suggest) you'll need one of these CAMERA TUBE so that you can get under the water and get a crispy clean pic

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to adjust the spectrum of your lighting to make it easier on your phone? Turn down the blues (or turn up the other channels, if they are down) for example? What is your lighting setup?

If you want to use your D800, you will have to make sure you are no closer than the lens minimum focus distance. You may run into issues if the camera is not pointing straight into the glass, I think the refraction may mess with keeping things in focus. You probably want a relatively fast shutter speed (1/100, 1/250 to start) in order to freeze motion rather than get blurry images. This may require lots of light (turn the lighting up all the way?)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather use the D800 with a good lense for shots.
What lenses do you have ?
Check out the sticky part on to of the photography forum for a list of articles that would help you im sure. Feel free to post pictures here so we can assist you more.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back