Basslet Spitting Sand?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed our Black Cap Basslet doing an odd thing at night, if you stay still long enough it will dive down to the back corner of the tank, re-appear above a small rock, and spit large (for it’s size) amounts of sand out.

It seems to only temporarily annoy the cloves in that corner.. but I wonder why it is doing this?

It has made it’s obvious home in a cave in a separate part of the tank.

You can see the area it has been digging out in the corner

1024ACE5-06DA-4079-9BDE-88425886EB85.jpeg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this if I or any tank inhabitant moves sand near the entrance of his cave. Yours either is considering a move or has some other territorial interest in that area. Mine has a secondary entrance he also keeps clear.

Perfectly normal behavior from this species.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this if I or any tank inhabitant moves sand near the entrance of his cave. Yours either is considering a move or has some other territorial interest in that area. Mine has a secondary entrance he also keeps clear.

+1 my blackcap basslet has constructed two homes in my tank and moves sand, shells, and rubble to make homes.

OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Purple Firefish stays in a small cave inside the rock it dumps most of the sand on at night. Any chance that is related?

Otherwise it makes sense that it may move, it is still relatively new to the tank. I didn’t realize they were such builders. I was expecting it to hide in the rocks most of the time (not that I would prefer that).

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black cap does this all the time, quite cool to see what hes building. He'll grab shells and algae and stuff to bring back to his den to decorate it lol

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 138 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%

Back