Batfish experience

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with batfish?
Seen some in the lfs today and was amazed by them but didn't know much about them to go ahead an buy one.
20180325_132158.jpg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very difficult to keep alive and can not have any stress or anything. Most batfish at aquariums are normally in by themselves. They are also very picky eaters and sometimes will starve if something is not perfect. I have done salt water tanks for a long time, and I don’t even think I could keep one alive. Please, do not think I doubt your skill or experience, but I’m one of the research nuts, and really wanted one. When I visited my local fish store they said it was a very bad idea. I also have volunteered at my local aquarium as well. They do have a bat fish, but it has very little movement and it’s all by itself. They even had a very hard time getting him to eat. They beautiful fish, I adore them but very difficult from the research I have done.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It they eat sponge and are grazers as small. They also don't like high flow. They also get very big, lose their color, and become a full grey fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The batfish IMHO would be a slightly easier alternative to keeping a ray and if you are willing to dedicate a tank to one it wouldn't be bad. The problem in addition to feeding is that they generally prefer dimmer lighting and this keeps them from being a good mixed reef fish (as well as being predatory of small fish of course).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine in bright lighting because they are a very shallow water fish as juveniles. They are frequently found around pylons.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bat fish need a large tank, min of 100 gallons.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even bigger, they get to 18".

LOL, I was hot on getting one last year;)

Great advice everyone. They are really cool looking fish but have so many no's on getting one

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pinnatus batfish are being tank raised now. If that specimen is tank raised it should fair far better than the typical wild caught assuming it is doing well at the lfs.

One of the species I would pay a hefty premium for a tank raised one as they are notoriously finicky.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure if maybe Red-sea, or Marine-land, or hey maybe waterbox, could see the demand in batfish they could make us a bat cave aquarium. Then we could all have one until they turn super hero.

oldfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in the past kept both teria(sic) bats and orbic bats. Orbic grew large and was a good eater from day one

Warderkous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I have in the past kept both teria(sic) bats and orbic bats. Orbic grew large and was a good eater from day one
two had and Orbiculate bat fish his name was Oby. Did very well in my system, grew rather large and in my opinion very quickly. He was never picky when it came to food and didn’t mind bright lights ( the system had 4x 250 watt 20k Halides) the thing that took him down was my wife wanted to surprise me with new fish and placed the in the tank with out quarantine and brought in velvet and I lost all of the fish in that system. they will also nip corals from time to time so keep this in mind as well

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

two had and Orbiculate bat fish his name was Oby. Did very well in my system, grew rather large and in my opinion very quickly. He was never picky when it came to food and didn’t mind bright lights ( the system had 4x 250 watt 20k Halides) the thing that took him down was my wife wanted to surprise me with new fish and placed the in the tank with out quarantine and brought in velvet and I lost all of the fish in that system. they will also nip corals from time to time so keep this in mind as well

I bought one of these guys when I just started reefing a longtime ago. They are exceedingly fragile and can not stand any fin nipping (which will happen if you have more aggressive fish). Please take a look at their adult form, which is NOTHING like their juvi colors and form. They become huge, dull gray/silver round plate shaped and generally are not for home aquaria unless you have the largest of tanks. While the juvi form/colors are stunning, these guys are best left in the ocean (my opinion as well as the general consensus of authors)

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 2 in my younger days way before anyone was doing the aquaculture stuff & they lasted about 3 months then just wasted away no matter what I did. That was when most fish were still being caught in the wild with cyanide so most fish lasted maybe 12-18 months.

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful Orbi Bat in my 180 mixed reef. Now everyone is going to jump on me and tell me hes not reef safe. The truth is he "may not be". Mine behaves himself and does not pick on corals. He does pick on algae and loves seaweed- just like the tangs. I have no negatives.. he is a beauty in the tank and has a great personality. I think you need a nice size tank at least 80-100 gallons although i had one for 7 years in a 75.. I know that the one in the picture you show with the red/orange outlines fins are very fragile and very picky eaters so cant say alot about them. But the orbi bat has been great for me... i enjoy him and he gets along with the tangs and the one trigger..

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 70's (yes 1970's) I had four young Pinnatus in a 120 gal tank, by themselves. They learned to eat from my hand and were quite tame. Looking back it was just dumb luck. I kept them for four years and they doubled in size. As I was in school I donated them to a local aquarium where they lived for many more years and got to adult size. They have a lot of personality.
The batfish in the OP image is ill looking. It's color is bad and it is quite thin. Unless you have personally seen that fish eating, I would avoid it.
If tank raised ones are available, I would certainly go that route.
This is an image of a healthy Pinnatus in the wild.
20111210_Day 7 Dauin_215743_26096.jpg

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 70's (yes 1970's) I had four young Pinnatus in a 120 gal tank, by themselves. They learned to eat from my hand and were quite tame. Looking back it was just dumb luck. I kept them for four years and they doubled in size. As I was in school I donated them to a local aquarium where they lived for many more years and got to adult size. They have a lot of personality.
The batfish in the OP image is ill looking. It's color is bad and it is quite thin. Unless you have personally seen that fish eating, I would avoid it.
If tank raised ones are available, I would certainly go that route.
This is an image of a healthy Pinnatus in the wild.
20111210_Day 7 Dauin_215743_26096.jpg
Well here is my orbi bat... waiting for more food. But very personable!
IMG_2704.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back