Battle on Algae (or Dinos)

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure out the next steps for battling the issues I have with this nuisance for nearly a year so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The worst part of the bloom is in the sandbed, and it doesn't get better when doing a 20% water change (I do this bi-weekly and did it the day before the videos). The sandbed is clean when the lights are off.

Tank 180-gallon Waterbox tank setup October 2020.
Temp 79
pH 8.2-8.4
alkalinity 8.0
Calcium 490-500
Magnesium 1325
Nitrates 0.5
Phosphates 0.2 ppm (I know this is high for corals)
salinity 35ppm

Using 5 Xr15 at 50% using AB+ template and 10.5 hour time window (highest point 7 hours).

UV Sterilizer for 150g tank, skimmer, refugium with chaeto. Using Dr. Tim's bacteria on occasion and after water changes (eco-balance/waste away rotating each time and using 75% recommended dose).

Its not red slime, as I've treated and it helped zero. I've dropped a video from midday below and me messing with it. I have had a lot of corals die, I think this is part of the culprit but I also note that I had a million vermetid snails that were really messing with the corals (I've been manually removing for nearly 3 months and corals have bounced back a bit.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
lower white, red, and green light. dose phyto (LIVE), dose microbacter 7 while lights are on, daily. syphon out your gravel if you can, and increase your CUC with the likes of: cerith snails, tiger or fighting conches, nassarius snails, nerite snails, ninja astrea snails, astrea snails, or trochus snails.

OP
OP
S

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red, green and both whites are at 24% now, should I lower to zero and for how long?

I did try Phyto but just purchased more along with microbacter7.

I also just purchased a few months ago a top up of a CUC but I’ll buy some more specific to what you suggest.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
l
Red, green and both whites are at 24% now, should I lower to zero and for how long?

I did try Phyto but just purchased more along with microbacter7.

I also just purchased a few months ago a top up of a CUC but I’ll buy some more specific to what you suggest.
lower to like 5-6%. perhaps about a week, or more.

this is a waiting game. cannot rush this or other complications could arise!

Back