Bean animal overflow pipe size

Flounder's Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 13, 2019
Messages
469
Reaction score
174
Location
Nazareth, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have an custom aquariums over flow box drilled for 1.5 pipe 2400gph. Didn't realize till now all the plumbing supplies I purchased are 1.25 would this be OK to reduce from 1.5 to 1.25? Loss of flow rate?
 
So I have an custom aquariums over flow box drilled for 1.5 pipe 2400gph. Didn't realize till now all the plumbing supplies I purchased are 1.25 would this be OK to reduce from 1.5 to 1.25? Loss of flow rate? I'm running a bean animal with the 1200 reefmat
 
What size tank?
I think 1-1/4" drain lines would be fine on a bean animal drain.
I have 1" on my 240.
 
It's a 230 gallon. What kind of flow are you running?
If you are asking what gph, I have a Red Dragon 100watt return pump and it is at 56 watts.
 
Probably OK at 1-1/4" unless you are returning a really large flow rate. What is your return pump and piping size?
 
Always important to go to the source. With regards to reducing I have 1.5" bulkheads and reduced down to 1" due to space constraints. I've not run into any issues on my 210 gallon so it works well for me. As far as turn over I don't pay attention to it as I want more contact time in the sump for macro algae and skimmer vs high flow and turn over. Tank flow is managed by other means such as gyres.

When setup properly this is the safest overflow on the planet.

https://beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system/
 
Does Spears or anyone else make a quality 1.25” gate valve?
 
I have never seen valves in 1-1/4"
 
1703011654140.png
 
What size tank?
I think 1-1/4" drain lines would be fine on a bean animal drain.
I have 1" on my 240.
Ditto. I have 1" as the main drain (full siphon) on my 210G with 1.5" backups
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new