Beat up Canary Top Wrasse

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my new Canary Top Wrasse, Royal Gramma and Yellow Watchman Goby out of QT, no observed aggression in QT. QT protocol was 30 days of Copper Power at 2.35, when that was completed I changed 85% of the water and ran Cuprisorb for a couple of days. Then 2 doses of 2.22ml PraziPro (10-gal QT) 7 days apart. While in QT the Canary Top did not seem happy and would stay by the glass and almost bump into it. I noticed the fins start to split and a little bit of white on the head almost as if the scales had rub off. I moved him to DT yesterday and he went straight into the sand. He came out this morning and and has been acting fine but under the blue lights the white area on his head is much more pronounced and the rest of his body appears lighter yellow. It's hard to get good pics of him because he's fast and I am a crappy photographer.

DT is
Salinity 35 PSU
PH 8.2
Alk 8.75
Cal 428
Mag 1423
PO4 0
NO3 0
Ammonia 0

QT is
Salinity 35 PSU
Ammonia 0

20240420_102529.jpg
20240420_102525.jpg

20240420_102519.jpg

20240420_102504.jpg

20240420_100956.jpg

20240420_100927.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esquare Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the fish in the background of your last picture may be the culprit with regards to the other fish. I would give it a couple days *unless dramatic changes for the worse - until you try something additional for the fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can’t see video on my device but first i
I just moved my new Canary Top Wrasse, Royal Gramma and Yellow Watchman Goby out of QT, no observed aggression in QT. QT protocol was 30 days of Copper Power at 2.35, when that was completed I changed 85% of the water and ran Cuprisorb for a couple of days. Then 2 doses of 2.22ml PraziPro (10-gal QT) 7 days apart. While in QT the Canary Top did not seem happy and would stay by the glass and almost bump into it. I noticed the fins start to split and a little bit of white on the head almost as if the scales had rub off. I moved him to DT yesterday and he went straight into the sand. He came out this morning and and has been acting fine but under the blue lights the white area on his head is much more pronounced and the rest of his body appears lighter yellow. It's hard to get good pics of him because he's fast and I am a crappy photographer.

DT is
Salinity 35 PSU
PH 8.2
Alk 8.75
Cal 428
Mag 1423
PO4 0
NO3 0
Ammonia 0

QT is
Salinity 35 PSU
Ammonia 0

20240420_102529.jpg
20240420_102525.jpg

20240420_102519.jpg

20240420_102504.jpg

20240420_100956.jpg

20240420_100927.jpg
First order is isolation from further damage and need to post you tube or still pics to further assess

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esquare Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:
      • Purchased from LFS along with Royal Gramma and Yellow Watchman Goby and added to QT 3/3/24
      • While in QT no observed aggression between the 3 fish
      • Canary Top Wrasse appeared to be stressed while in QT and would stay mostly in 1 corner
      • I did notice him almost bang into the glass a few times.
      • Noticed the fin splits in QT
      • Noticed a little of the white areas in QT but they became much more evident in the blue light of the DT
      • 30 days Copper Power at 2.35
      • 85% water change after 30 days of copper then a couple days of Cuprisorb
      • 2.22ml PraziPro (10 gallon QT)
      • 7 days later 2.22ml PraziPro
      • Moved to DT yesterday and went straight to sand.
      • Came out this morning and has been swimming around and eating all day as if nothing is wrong.
    • Salinity 35 PSU
      PH 8.2
      Alk 8.75
      Cal 428
      Mag 1423
      PO4 0
      NO3 0
      Ammonia 0
    • QT was
      Salinity 35 PSU
      Ammonia 0
    • I tried to get the best pics and video I could, I can get more if that would be helpful. I took some under white lights but they did show the white areas well.
If I'm missing anything, please let me know.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fish in the background of your last picture may be the culprit with regards to the other fish. I would give it a couple days *unless dramatic changes for the worse - until you try something additional for the fish.
The Royal Gramma does seem to be a little aggressive now that he has been moved to the DT. He ran my Ruby Longfin Wrasse out of his spot. I never saw any aggression in QT but you never know.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
      • Purchased from LFS along with Royal Gramma and Yellow Watchman Goby and added to QT 3/3/24
      • While in QT no observed aggression between the 3 fish
      • Canary Top Wrasse appeared to be stressed while in QT and would stay mostly in 1 corner
      • I did notice him almost bang into the glass a few times.
      • Noticed the fin splits in QT
      • Noticed a little of the white areas in QT but they became much more evident in the blue light of the DT
      • 30 days Copper Power at 2.35
      • 85% water change after 30 days of copper then a couple days of Cuprisorb
      • 2.22ml PraziPro (10 gallon QT)
      • 7 days later 2.22ml PraziPro
      • Moved to DT yesterday and went straight to sand.
      • Came out this morning and has been swimming around and eating all day as if nothing is wrong.
    • Salinity 35 PSU
      PH 8.2
      Alk 8.75
      Cal 428
      Mag 1423
      PO4 0
      NO3 0
      Ammonia 0
    • QT was
      Salinity 35 PSU
      Ammonia 0
    • I tried to get the best pics and video I could, I can get more if that would be helpful. I took some under white lights but they did show the white areas well.
If I'm missing anything, please let me know.
I think you covered everything - and the pictures are great. Thanks. If the fish looks 'good' it could be an acclimation issue that has resolved.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - often aggression is sudden - and not seen one way to do it - is as @vetteguy53081 has suggested is to either stand a fair distance from the tank and wait - or put up a camera in front of the tank...

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - often aggression is sudden - and not seen one way to do it - is as @vetteguy53081 has suggested is to either stand a fair distance from the tank and wait - or put up a camera in front of the tank...
I am hoping it's just the stress of being in QT and medicated. I know I should have put some sand in there for him but I was too afraid of it affecting the med dosages. I dread the thought of trying to catch the little bugger to go back in QT as he is fast. I will give it a day or so and see how he does and if necessary, break out the fish trap and move him back to QT.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sitting at my desk and turned my head then turned back and saw the Royal Gramma take a shot at the Canary Top! That must be what is happening. I thought Royal Gramma's were supposed to be peaceful, I guess I got the 1 butthead RG. Hopefully things will settle down now that they are in a 120 DT instead of a little QT.

Thank you all again!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Typical
I was sitting at my desk and turned my head then turned back and saw the Royal Gramma take a shot at the Canary Top! That must be what is happening. I thought Royal Gramma's were supposed to be peaceful, I guess I got the 1 butthead RG. Hopefully things will settle down now that they are in a 120 DT instead of a little QT.

Thank you all again!
typical gramma and a decision to make regarding keeping it
You can start with placing it in a sump for 2 weeks then see if behavior alters

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fish tra
I am hoping it's just the stress of being in QT and medicated. I know I should have put some sand in there for him but I was too afraid of it affecting the med dosages. I dread the thought of trying to catch the little bugger to go back in QT as he is fast. I will give it a day or so and see how he does and if necessary, break out the fish trap and move him back to QT.

Thanks for the help!
Trap should work well

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just seeing this now - those fin issues sure SEEM like tankmate aggression to me. However, your fish stocking list doesn't indicate who might be doing that. Your gramma did seem a bit offensive to me, but darn it, I just wouldn't expect a RG to be able to do that much damage to a fast swimming wrasse. However fish constantly surprise me, so I'd have to say that is your culprit.

Jay

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just seeing this now - those fin issues sure SEEM like tankmate aggression to me. However, your fish stocking list doesn't indicate who might be doing that. Your gramma did seem a bit offensive to me, but darn it, I just wouldn't expect a RG to be able to do that much damage to a fast swimming wrasse. However fish constantly surprise me, so I'd have to say that is your culprit.

Jay
I have to say that I was shocked when I turned my head and saw the RG take a swipe at the Canary Top. I will say, The Canary Top seems much happier in the DT with sand and rockwork.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back