beating undetectable nutrients

JKDMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be your recommendation for NO3 / PO4 levels for a softie dominate mixed reef with no SPS. also if I'm having trouble maintaining detectable no3/po4 in my tank what would you recommend for maintaining those levels. I had this problem a couple of months ago. At the time I just ran my skimmer about 50 % of the time and stopped using filter socks. But... I overshot and ended up with no3/po4 levels too high. had some algae outbreaks. now I'm back to bottoming out. Im trying for stability but so far not so good

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank, rock, sand, refuge?
With new tank and varying livestock can have swings, but aside from that should be manageable with how much you feed, verse- skim, size of refuge, algae scrub, carbon dose, etc

OP
OP
J

JKDMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank, rock, sand, refuge?
With new tank and varying livestock can have swings, but aside from that should be manageable with how much you feed, verse- skim, size of refuge, algae scrub, carbon dose, etc
OK so basically just tuning it.. its a 75gal 30lbs live rock and sand and been running for one year. no fuge.Just socks and a very effective skimmer, and a low bio load.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be your recommendation for NO3 / PO4 levels for a softie dominate mixed reef with no SPS. also if I'm having trouble maintaining detectable no3/po4 in my tank what would you recommend for maintaining those levels. I had this problem a couple of months ago. At the time I just ran my skimmer about 50 % of the time and stopped using filter socks. But... I overshot and ended up with no3/po4 levels too high. had some algae outbreaks. now I'm back to bottoming out. Im trying for stability but so far not so good
The straightforward approach is test and dose, adding NO3 and PO4 as needed.

The other way to import NO3 and PO4 is my dosing organic matter, like fish food, letting bacteria digest it and generating NO3 and PO4. There is a lag time between adding food and seeing a NO3 and PO4 increase. Also, you are at the mercy of the food’s relative amounts of PO4 and NO3. If you only want to add PO4 and no NO3, adding food is not a useful option.

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Dan P. i dosed for the first time recently to bring up undetectable levels. I made a diy stock solution for nitrate and phosphate. was scared the first time i added chemicals to the tank but it worked very well. Good luck! Picture of a post from RandyH-F
Ideal Level Nitrate_phosphate-1.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back