been through multiple blooms

GymCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Algae is going nuts in my tank still. I’ve had multiple blooms now. Ran fritz Zyne 9 about a month ago, did my water changes and already had the water cleared up. Is this brown water any potential harm to my fish or coral ?

OP
OP
G

GymCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a fluval sea mini skimmer currently, I had an over the back filter running with a nitrate sponge and carbonate to get my levels down. I was told to put the skimmer back on and take the other off after I reached this level. It’s been about 9 days since

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
G

GymCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blooms could be from being next to the window and not having a heavier filtration

Definitely poor placement on my part. I live in a small apartment. I may try to move it or put up some more shades. Last resort I’ll plastidip the back of the tank lol

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a fluval sea mini skimmer currently, I had an over the back filter running with a nitrate sponge and carbonate to get my levels down. I was told to put the skimmer back on and take the other off after I reached this level. It’s been about 9 days since
I keep both running and look into a uv sterilizer.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Definitely poor placement on my part. I live in a small apartment. I may try to move it or put up some more shades. Last resort I’ll plastidip the back of the tank lol
you’re better off shading the backside of it, you’ll still suffer the occasional bloom or consistent algae growth on some parts of the glass but you should have a more established tank by then

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can purchase a tetra green machine in tank UV for your set up. Work well and fairly inexpensive
I’ve read great things about the Green Machine, great suggestion.

OP
OP
G

GymCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if videos work, there is quite a bit of flow in the tank. Just super cloudy/upsetting to look at

Attachments

• 72584425625__63B73A43-177D-4873-A310-45ED0C3DFA8E.MOV
    1 MB

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into one, Thankyou. Will I be using a uv sterilizer enough to purchase one or should I just borrow one until it clears up?
I run mine 24/7, good at removing algae from the water column as well as bad viruses and bacteria. The only time I turn it off, over night, is when I dose phytoplankton.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am someone who does not recommend UV unless it is a last option for you. It will nuke bad stuff and good stuff as well which may further imbalance your biome which is the root of your current problem. It will kill copepods, amphipods, good bacteria, etc... but it also may clear your bloom. But this is a bandaid fix that does not address the source of your problems some of which were identified by other posters. I suspect you have inadequate filtration and to much ambient light from the window

OP
OP
G

GymCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you suggest throwing
I am someone who does not recommend UV unless it is a last option for you. It will nuke bad stuff and good stuff as well which may further imbalance your biome which is the root of your current problem. It will kill copepods, amphipods, good bacteria, etc... but it also may clear your bloom. But this is a bandaid fix that does not address the source of your problems some of which were identified by other posters. I suspect you have inadequate filtration and to much ambient light from the window
Thankyou for your advice. do you think I should maybe throw back on my top fin power filter along with the protein skimmer? I currently only have a nitrate reducing media pad

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back