Beginner: 36g bowfront conversion to saltwater/reeftank.

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wanting to start a simple reef tank but Im converting my freshwater equipment:
  1. 36g bowfront
  2. 2x AI 32 Hydras (I was growing high light plants)
  3. Fluval 407 (can I convert this? Can anyone help me (point me in a good direction) how I should fill this up with media?)
  4. I do have a Fluval FX4 that is currently filtering my Cichlid tank. (Is this convertible?)
  5. 2x Tidal 75s that are not being used for anything.
Im currently in that argument phase of telling my wife I wanted to purchase an SW AIO but the first one she looked up was the Red Sea 170 E series... and even I admit that is ***** expensive! So, I want to prove to her that I can convert the 36g bowfront. Or I shouldnt waste the money and chase down a Fluval Evo? The Evo pretty much means I will lose the argument but I do want to start out right since I had a previous experience 15+ years ago that I started 10g reef tank and it was a huge failure and very expensive. Now, that Im wfh... I have a lot of time to maintain a good tank even if it is small. I would love to start off with a 40g breeder or a 60g cube tank... but again, Im trying to prove that Im not going to spend $2-3k from the get-go!

My main goal is to keep everything pretty simple and setup a saltwater tank. I was thinking some kid friendly fish like clown fish and yellow tang with some inverts. I would love to try the clownfish and sea anemone... but Im currently watching this youtube playlist from BrsTV stating the better first 5 utilitarian fish...

Any suggestions on how I should convert my 36g bowfront and make it into a successful reeftank? Im willing to purchase anything I need to make this tank successful. So far, I was thinking of getting a Tunze protien skimmer (the one that goes in the tank) and maybe a HOB refugium? I dont know if I should piecemeal things and/or do I need all of the equipment while Im going to cycle the tank? I have no problem purchasing RO/DI and/or SW from my LFS and plan to purchase a RO/DI system for my home once it becomes too annoying of transporting the 5g jugs to and fro from the LFS.

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason you couldn't repurpose either of those canisters. From everything I've read and watched I haven't seen a single reason a canister shouldn't be used on a saltwater tank and, in my opinion, it looks cleaner than a HOB filter. The bacteria that's built up in it will likely die, which will just be replaced with more bacteria. You pretty much have everything you need. Just throw some rock in it and fill'er up.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval FX6 on a 55g tank and I love it. Canisters are nice because they’re pretty quiet.

if you use the 407, replace the media with ceramic bio balls or biohome media

OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you use the 407, replace the media with ceramic bio balls or biohome media
Curious if you have personal experience but I do have biohome media in all of the trays except for the bottom in which has a sponge. Would you recommend anything else?

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you have personal experience but I do have biohome media in all of the trays except for the bottom in which has a sponge. Would you recommend anything else?
I have my Fluval FX6 fully loaded with the Ceramic Balls and a little a bit of sponge on the top.

OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Fluval FX6 fully loaded with the Ceramic Balls and a little a bit of sponge on the top.
I fully understand the ceramic balls but if I may ask... why the sponge on top? (Sincere question promise...) I thought it would still be the standard Mechanical --> Biological --> Chemical setup? But you are putting the Mechanical as last only for ease of replacement and nothing else? Can I also ask what are you using for your biomedia?

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the sponge on top so I can access it quicker to clean out more regularly.

the bio media is just the ceramic balls. I use the MarinePure 1.5” Bio-Filter Media.

I don’t have carbon or anything else in the canister, and have had good results with the setup as is.

I actually have a 15g tank that’s running a Fluval 307 on it with the same bioballs and 1 chamber of sponges.

OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the sponge on top so I can access it quicker to clean out more regularly.

the bio media is just the ceramic balls. I use the MarinePure 1.5” Bio-Filter Media.

I don’t have carbon or anything else in the canister, and have had good results with the setup as is.

I actually have a 15g tank that’s running a Fluval 307 on it with the same bioballs and 1 chamber of sponges.
TYVM for your patience and time!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back