New to hobby. 26 bow front for beginner tank?

bwieser32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently bored with freshwater and wanting to make the jump to saltwater with interest in live stock and coral eventually! I’m tossing around the idea of just getting a 75gal or making my current 26 gallon bowfront a saltwater tank to get the hang of it things. What are your thoughts? Where should I start?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will work for you just fine! :) Your 26 gallon is a bit small, but nano tanks are a thing and you can be successful with one of these for sure! You will not have a lot of room for much hang on equipment - but then again, it is not required to have good results!

If you have the room, the finances and the determination then I would have a look at that 75 gallon tank though! If you're in it for the long run, I would buy what i want the first time! The largest expense for me, and many others in this hobby is the "upgrade factor" ie. buying stuff and then replacing it!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd the large tank. It won’t have the swings that can happen in smaller tanks

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sw tanks cause a lot more film algae than fw, and bowfront is very easy to scratch.

I had a 46g bowfront reef, I have a 36g bowfront fw; and I have a 75g reef

I have no issues with the bowfront for fw as there is gravel instead of sand

My 46 bowfront reef I was careful with but still scratched - the flat scraper blades on a handle can’t be used.

75g is an excellent size and platform to work with. More volume for more stability. Space under the cabinet for a good sump setup. Space inside to make different flow areas and space corals out.

Dub_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first SW tank was a bow front about that size. Had a small hang-on protein skimmer and filter. Eventually got a larger system but certainly a decent starter tank.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will likely want to upgrade the 26g within the first 2 years, probably even within the first one.

Space is scarce in reef tanks both inside and out of the tank, and volume does play a big role in stability.

As for a bowfront in general - I think it may negatively impact your ability to properly observe your corals, which in time you’ll learn that it can sometimes be crucial for a successful reef keeping.
And in my opinion - it also kinda ruins the aesthetics, but that’s a matter of taste.

I understand the dilemma - but I’m also aware how quickly I wanted to upgrade my Nano, and 2 tank upgrades since I found myself with a 206g + a separate 90g frag tank, and if could I would go even further.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 75 for a reef and turn the 26 bowfront into a FW blackwater tank. You will need to get an RODI anyway, so you can do a proper BW. They (BW) are a lot of fun, low maintenance, and will renew your interest in fresh water.

So much to learn in this hobby...

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You can likely get a 2nd hand reef ready 75 gal at a very reasonable price. I wouldn’t do a 75 if it wasn’t reef ready. Fortunately, it’s a buyers market at the moment.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great suggestions and I'm not disagreeing with any of it. This is what can be done with just a 32 gallon just to give you any idea.
9E2C334D-4A2D-49A4-AAB8-DC27B0604B85.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bwieser32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sw tanks cause a lot more film algae than fw, and bowfront is very easy to scratch.

I had a 46g bowfront reef, I have a 36g bowfront fw; and I have a 75g reef

I have no issues with the bowfront for fw as there is gravel instead of sand

My 46 bowfront reef I was careful with but still scratched - the flat scraper blades on a handle can’t be used.

75g is an excellent size and platform to work with. More volume for more stability. Space under the cabinet for a good sump setup. Space inside to make different flow areas and space corals out.
With no experience would you recommend going straight to the sump set up? I’ve been doing a lot of research but it still a jump and kind of makes me a bit nervous to be honest! Pages like this with people that respect newbies trying to get in the hobby will help out I think!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no experience would you recommend going straight to the sump set up? I’ve been doing a lot of research but it still a jump and kind of makes me a bit nervous to be honest! Pages like this with people that respect newbies trying to get in the hobby will help out I think!

I would say yes go to the sump. It’s more volume and hides your filtration and heaters and gear. Is the 75 reef ready / drilled?

OP
OP
B

bwieser32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes go to the sump. It’s more volume and hides your filtration and heaters and gear. Is the 75 reef ready / drilled?
I have not actually purchased anything yet. Keeping my options open and honestly looking to find a set up someone is wanting to part with.

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started with a 29, got bored and upgraded to a 55 bowfront. Glass was a PIA to clean. Parameter swings like crazy because i was lazy. I knew i wanted tangs as well, and once you have your heart set on tangs youll have to upgrade again. Ended up with a 125 within 2 years. Wish i would of went with that right from the beginning.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All folks (including me) that went from an AIO to a sump will tell you that it’s tremendously easier and more comfortable to handle and maintain, and is less restrictive in terms of extendibility - something all experienced reefers take into account when building a new system.

As for it being a little intimidating at first - yes, it is. But a good understanding of how it all actually works simplifies it before hand, and you’ll quickly find yourself confident to work with it once you give it a try and get the hang of it in practice.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@DanyL is spot on.

I'll add this as well, what's your vision for the tank? What do you want to achieve? All too often we think about the aquarium aside from its contents. Do you just want to do some clown fish and a nem? Softie tank? Or perhaps a fowlr with some smaller non-reef safe things? I've found that when people fail to set goals or have a vision they tend to end up in these perpetual doom loops where they jump from one thing to the next. As previously mentioned the 75 gal is flexible enough to achieve a number of different things. If you haven't already it might be a good idea to cruise some social channels, google images, etc and find something that really speaks to you and then plan your infrastructure accordingly.

OP
OP
B

bwieser32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DanyL is spot on.

I'll add this as well, what's your vision for the tank? What do you want to achieve? All too often we think about the aquarium aside from its contents. Do you just want to do some clown fish and a nem? Softie tank? Or perhaps a fowlr with some smaller non-reef safe things? I've found that when people fail to set goals or have a vision they tend to end up in these perpetual doom loops where they jump from one thing to the next. As previously mentioned the 75 gal is flexible enough to achieve a number of different things. If you haven't already it might be a good idea to cruise some social channels, google images, etc and find something that really speaks to you and then plan your infrastructure accordingly.
I’m wanting to start with some beginner fish then work my way into a soft coral tank. Of course my 4 year goes into our local fish store and wants the fun crabs, shrimp etc. I’m just doing lots of reading and overwhelming/intimidating myself I think. My best bet is to get something purchased and get it going and go from there. What are your thoughts?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back