Considering a macroalgae tank

xandermiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again, i’m considering trying to set up a macroalgae tank for my first saltwater aquarium(probably a 75). I’m doing so partially because I really like the look, partially because I’ve heard it removes the need for a sump, and partially because i don’t want coral (at least for the foreseeable future). I know for large Fowler tanks, you need a skimmer and filter for nutrient control, but I’ve heard that skimmers compete with the macros for nutrients. Is it a good idea to get one anyways, or should i avoid a skimmer? I’ve also heard people use macro-algae as a way to reduce water changes, so I’m curious if that works as an alternative? Finally, are macroalgae particularly difficult to keep? I know some species have a tendency to go sexual/asexual, but in terms of caring for them in general, how do they differ from a freshwater planted? Sorry for all the questions, i want to make sure I’m doing things right.
thank you and have a great day!

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macroalgae and skimmers can compliment each other. Many here grow chaeto and also skim, including myself. However, it will depend on many factors including your bioload and how much you feed. Macroalgae will pull nutrients from your water so you'll have to dose for that. I'm not familiar with any other macroalgae besides chaeto, but I'm interested to see what other replies you get so I can learn too.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been wanting to start a macroalgae tank too! Have been in reefing for about 8-9 months and multiple tank syndrome is really hitting hard about now.. Good luck with your tank and welcome to R2R! :cool:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back