Beginner tank questions

pack2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I'm just starting on this hobby so am a highly impressionable newbie. I have been doing a ton of research over the last month (reading and Youtube) on everything involved. Decided on a saltwater setup instead of freshwater because 1. love the creatures and their idiosyncrasies in the saltwater world and 2. find the water chemistry and interconnected ecosystem of a saltwater tank fascinating.
Now starting out all I have at this point is a RO/DI system and did get a 40g tank on sale from Petsmart. That said I'm trying to decide if I want to wait on the 40g since for the first year or two I'm thinking I'll just do a simple budget friendly FOWLR setup (also a decent chance we'll be moving states in the next 2 years so don't want to make an elaborate reef and then figure out what to do at that point). In that thread I'm wondering if a 15 or 20 g AIO setup with just a couple of clownfish and maybe a lawnmower blenny would be a good thing to run for the next year or two to get the hang of it? I know smaller tanks might be more volatile so I've read that bigger tanks are easier in that respect. But had to convince the wife to let me do this plus we're having a heck of a time trying to figure out where to put the 40 so a 15 or 20 might be easier to place. Was looking at some of Innovative Marine's tanks and they looked promising. Also, how feasible is it to transfer the setup to the 40 g tank once I'm feeling comfortable and then to start experimenting with corals?
Other thing is, wife has a cat that she is worried will mess with the tank so any cat proofing tips would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance for the help y'all!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I’m sure others will come along with sound advice. It seems like you understand the limitations of a small tank, so start there if you’re more comfortable. I came back to the hobby with plans to setup a 40 gallon I already have, but started to think that maybe 60-90 gallons would be better. While I’m still planning that tank out, I jumped back in with a 15 and 10 gallon setup just to get going again. My plan is to transfer livestock from the 15 into my larger tank once I get that tank running…. Someday… Just think thing things through if you may have to move. I would think it would be easier to break down and move or rehome a small system if it comes to that. Good luck!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is always better for saltwater tanks and easier. So if you can do the 40 I would! I have a 15 gallon with two clowns and a molly I converted to salt. They do well but that tank needs way more work on it regularly (water changes, algae ext…)

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents are easy moves in your situation are higher priority than big tank. I had a 6 gallon biocube in college and it did fine with easy corals. Biggest thing is don’t overstock fish and ensure it has a lid to prevent evaporation. It was really easy to drain and pack it into two 5 gallon buckets and drive home for spring break etc.

OP
OP
P

pack2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone! Only other question I have at the moment is if I do go with a 20 gallon FOWLR what is the fish limit. Is say 2 clownfish, lawnmower blenny and maybe a royal gramma too much? Certainly will just be sticking with the two clowns for a while but trying to think through what my expansion options would be down the road. Also what about possible urchins or snails?

OP
OP
P

pack2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is always better for saltwater tanks and easier. So if you can do the 40 I would! I have a 15 gallon with two clowns and a molly I converted to salt. They do well but that tank needs way more work on it regularly (water changes, algae ext…)
I was initially thinking a 40 for those reasons but space in our current house is a big issue and I already had a hard enough time convincing the wife to let me do this :).

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20G FOWLR with those 4 fish would be a bit much unless you have a large sump (to increase total system water volume/stability). I'd just stick with the 2 clowns

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 40B in my office at work with just a 6 slot power strip. 1) mechanical timer for T5 lights, 2) Tunze in tank skimmer, 3) ATO, 4) powerhead 1, 5) powerhead 2, 6) heater.

Never had fish in it, just crustations. Could have easily done 2 clowns.

OP
OP
P

pack2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found a used for 6 months 32g Biocube on FB marketplace. It looks like a pretty good deal that includes live rock and corals. How wary should I be and what questions should I ask the owner to make sure I'm not getting a lemon?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you will love a Biocube. It's a fantastic starter tank. They don't usually have any issues, so you're probably fine.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ask if they have upgraded the lights or return pump. That way we know what you're working with. The stock lights and pump are fine btw.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I'm just starting on this hobby so am a highly impressionable newbie. I have been doing a ton of research over the last month (reading and Youtube) on everything involved. Decided on a saltwater setup instead of freshwater because 1. love the creatures and their idiosyncrasies in the saltwater world and 2. find the water chemistry and interconnected ecosystem of a saltwater tank fascinating.
Now starting out all I have at this point is a RO/DI system and did get a 40g tank on sale from Petsmart. That said I'm trying to decide if I want to wait on the 40g since for the first year or two I'm thinking I'll just do a simple budget friendly FOWLR setup (also a decent chance we'll be moving states in the next 2 years so don't want to make an elaborate reef and then figure out what to do at that point). In that thread I'm wondering if a 15 or 20 g AIO setup with just a couple of clownfish and maybe a lawnmower blenny would be a good thing to run for the next year or two to get the hang of it? I know smaller tanks might be more volatile so I've read that bigger tanks are easier in that respect. But had to convince the wife to let me do this plus we're having a heck of a time trying to figure out where to put the 40 so a 15 or 20 might be easier to place. Was looking at some of Innovative Marine's tanks and they looked promising. Also, how feasible is it to transfer the setup to the 40 g tank once I'm feeling comfortable and then to start experimenting with corals?
Other thing is, wife has a cat that she is worried will mess with the tank so any cat proofing tips would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance for the help y'all!
I would start out with a 15 AIO, it's a good learning tank without spending a lot of money on things like equipment and all the things you need, you can put fish and corals in the tank no problem, and then after a while you can start your 40 gal with good experience, and then use your 15 gal for a Hospital tank which everybody will need sooner or later.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

KILL THE CAT.
Haha! Good luck!

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, For the cat, any old spray bottle with water set to stream, cats gets close to tank spray them. Only take a few times and they'll stay away.

I see a lot of people saying to start smaller, and I get that it is cheaper, but a 15g nano is way harder to keep than a 40g for the simple fact Dilution is King. The more water you have the slower the build up to detrimental levels of nutrients. I'd use the 40g, build a rock-scape, cycle it and let the adventure begin. I'd make 2 or 3 islands in the 40g so when you have to move, it is easy to break down into 5gal buckets or plastic tubs for transport.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back