Beginner Corals

  • Thread starter Thread starter Striike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Striike

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
260
Reaction score
131
Location
Chattanooga
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I am getting close to being ready to start with some corals. I have read on a couple of different ones meant for beginners, but was curious if anyone had some recommendations on some hardy, less expensive, yet pretty corals I should look into. Or better yet, does anyone have one of these types of corals they would sell a frag of?
 
What types of corals are you wanting to keep? What lighting will they be under? I have a wide variety of corals i can frag, or already have frags ready. More details of what you are looking for will help.
 
Sorry, slow responder here, work has been kicking my butt. I am not picky on types of corals, just something I don't need a lot of experience to keep. I'm interested in Polyps, and Xenia thus far, but am willing to take suggestions as well.

I have a fluorescent fixture over the tank, 4 bulbs 2 12000k and 2 actinic 54w each. I'm thinking t5's? But not sure, I can get more specific if needed.

As a refresher, my set up is:
75g with 29g sump.
~100lbs live rock, 120lbs sand/substrate between DT and sump.
800 gph flow from sump to DT, Kor3 in DT.
Yes I have a skimmer.
Fish are:
2 Perc Clowns
1 yellow tang
3 yellowtailed damsels
1 Goldheaded Goby
1 Lawnmower Blenney
3 peppermint, 2 cleaner shrimp
crabs and snails oh my

Ironman, didn't you post some photos of what you have at one point? Can't seem to find the post.
 
I have alot of stuff, just depends on your budget. Best thing would be to come to the may meeting at my house and take a look at some stuff.
 
I have some generic zoas that I can hack pieces off for you. I can give you some of the evil (though lovely neon green) star polyps that are better left as an oasis on a lone piece of rock not touching any other rock so they can't spread......
Susan
 
I have a buch of good starter frags,and i can ship really cheap. Send me a pm if your still looking for anything.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new