Beginner: Fluval Flex 32.5 vs Custom setup

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Brand new here and looking to get into the hobby. While my wife is getting into planted freshwater aquariums, I found myself enamored with the idea of fish/reef tanks. I've spent the last month researching and have come down to two options, but I don't know what I should do.

1) Go with the Fluval Flex 32.5. It's the more cost effective option, but after reading threads I'm getting the vibe that the stock options aren't great. I'm just not sure how necessary or helpful the upgrades would be. Depending on the cost of said upgrades, option 2 may be better

2) Pick out my own setup. After doing the math for the things I wanted (40 gallon breeder, 2 AI prime lights, tidal 55 filter), it would be around $200 more to get started. While it costs more, I wouldn't have to worry about upgrades

My big thing is lack of knowledge do I wanted to ask people with experience on what they suggest

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stock options for the Fluval aren't great, no. Most end up upgrading the pump, filtration and adding another LED light - so when you factor that in I'm not sure you're money ahead. That being said, the Fluval has a lid (cuts down on evaporation) and a nice curved front. You can also get a matching stand.

With respect to a custom setup, as you pointed out you're not limited to stock equipment (lights, etc.) and can easily upgrade as needed. In terms of costs, I think by the time you factor in the needed Fluval upgrades you're probably looking at comparable costs in terms of overall expense.

Back