Beginner in need of help with a picoreef

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you did good leaving the aging on the pump/back areas it still shows maturity in the system but then the sand just pow/stands out bright. once that's filled in with corals that look is so insta lol. this very second it'll take any lps frags/softies you want to add. why don't we stimmy that tank into a full reef by this afternoon in fact he he

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you did good leaving the aging on the pump/back areas
I do like the coralline algae growing there :) I just scrubbed the other nasties and soaked it (just the casing, not the media) in some tap water with a bit of peroxide while I was scrubbing the rocks.

why don't we stimmy that tank into a full reef by this afternoon in fact he he
In fact I ordered two zoa frags, they shipped today and should be here tomorrow. :D I can't wait to add some more life to the tank, it looks so empty now! If they'll do well I'll probably get more in a couple of weeks. :3 After all a reef tank with just a leather, two sad mushrooms and a closed up zoa isn't much of a reef isn't it?

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will come around it sounds like your on the right track! I think the best thing to do which is also the toughest is after you make any sort of change is to leave things alone for awhile and see what happens. I am impatient when it comes to some things and like to tinker to make things right. Ill keep folllowing along good luck!

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5

Water still perfect:
CaeQGdW.png

Mushrooms still sulking and the leather cabbage coral (sinularia) yesterday closed up while I was blowing detritus off the rocks. That's normal but the polyps didn't open up again yesterday nor this morning before lights on as they always did in the past days:
uaVx15G.png

Should I be worried?

Water parameters unchanged from yesterday, I left the tank alone today aside from a little sprinkle of powder food. Maybe I messed with it too much in the past days, I'll try to keep my hands off for a bit.

Sadly the new frags didn't arrive today, hopefully they'll be here tomorrow and they'll be okay.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no that's ok morphology for them to pull in an things balance out no concerns yet

has the light intensity been legit lowered a good bit/looks the same as prior

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has the light intensity been legit lowered a good bit/looks the same as prior
Before the rip cleaning light was 12w white + blue for 10 hours (2h break in the middle) and another hour of 6w blue. A bit less white in the week prior the rip clean actually but I still kept it on.

After cleaning I've been keeping the same schedule but no whites, I turn white on only to take pictures. The tank is lit with only 6w blue so 50% compared to before, and I added that paper screen to lower it a bit more. The new tank is a bit taller too so there should be less overall pars hitting the sandbed.

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6

Water perfect as usual:
6XgwEAM.png

The striped mushroom is finally beginning to open up a little!
ykBdS4q.png

The gray/blue mushroom has something weird going on near its mouth but I can't understand what it is and it's hard to take a clear pic:
v4TZ7ol.png

One of the green zoa polyps is definitely trying to open up, still quite pale but a good sign nevertheless:
6RXQdw5.png

The cabbage leather is happy again! Polyps are super extended! Maybe it was just shedding?
xtPQ82A.png

And finally, the new frags arrived today! I drip acclimated while keeping them at tank temperature and then I dipped them before putting into the tank, I set them in a shady spot behind the rocks for now:
NBLWxYC.png

Things are looking up! I did a mini water change while dipping and took the chance to blow the rocks a bit (being careful to not disturb the corals too much this time). I got a bigger turkey baster and wow, the amount of stuff that came out of them! I'm beginning to see some debris on the sand so I'll vacuum in a couple of days during water change.

All parameters unchanged aside from NO3 that went up to 2.5! This small daily feedings are paying off, I will keep monitoring nitrates until I reach a more appropriate level, which would be... 5ppm?

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7

Water still crystal clear, glass is perfectly clean too:
3UVOfPu.png

The striped mushroom is definitely opening up. I think it detached from the rock, it might start to move around until it finds a place it likes:
QSunytb.png

That single green zoa polyp is still halfway open and pale:
Nrg1MEe.png

Sand is dirty and needs cleaning:
BbvuYHj.png
u8duOVl.png

The big mushroom has definitely something weird going on, I think it might be melting. Managed to snap a couple of pics. what the heck is that?
BE4qTFT.png

WPvX6yy.png

Looks like a goner to me. :|

Parameters still stable, NO3 2.5, alk around 10 dKh, salinity crept up to 1025 but I probably didn't top off with RODI enough yesterday when I did that mini water change.

The new zoa frags are still closed but shipping took two days so I guess I'll have to be patient with them.

It's been a week since the rip cleaning and the results are amazing: I don't have to clean the glass every day, alk finally isn't dropping quickly anymore and I have some detectable nitrates. Alk dropping constantly and NO3 near 0 were definitely the algae's fault, once removed the majority of them my parameters are finally stable.

Since the corals aren't so angry at me anymore I removed the paper screen. I'll keep running blues for another couple of days and then I'll try adding a bit of white and I'll see how that goes.

This will be my last daily update unless something unexpected happens, but I'll keep posting to let you guys know how the tank will do in the next weeks/months. :)

Tomorrow I'll do some cleaning and a bigger water change. What's a suitable amount for a weekly water change? 10%? 5%?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7

Water still crystal clear, glass is perfectly clean too:
3UVOfPu.png

The striped mushroom is definitely opening up. I think it detached from the rock, it might start to move around until it finds a place it likes:
QSunytb.png

That single green zoa polyp is still halfway open and pale:
Nrg1MEe.png

Sand is dirty and needs cleaning:
BbvuYHj.png
u8duOVl.png

The big mushroom has definitely something weird going on, I think it might be melting. Managed to snap a couple of pics. what the heck is that?
BE4qTFT.png

WPvX6yy.png

Looks like a goner to me. :|

Parameters still stable, NO3 2.5, alk around 10 dKh, salinity crept up to 1025 but I probably didn't top off with RODI enough yesterday when I did that mini water change.

The new zoa frags are still closed but shipping took two days so I guess I'll have to be patient with them.

It's been a week since the rip cleaning and the results are amazing: I don't have to clean the glass every day, alk finally isn't dropping quickly anymore and I have some detectable nitrates. Alk dropping constantly and NO3 near 0 were definitely the algae's fault, once removed the majority of them my parameters are finally stable.

Since the corals aren't so angry at me anymore I removed the paper screen. I'll keep running blues for another couple of days and then I'll try adding a bit of white and I'll see how that goes.

This will be my last daily update unless something unexpected happens, but I'll keep posting to let you guys know how the tank will do in the next weeks/months. :)

Tomorrow I'll do some cleaning and a bigger water change. What's a suitable amount for a weekly water change? 10%? 5%?
Looks great .

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jar is like 1.5 gallons i just did almost all of it yesterday left about an inch of water in the bottom for my shrimp and then refilled with the fresh stuff. Maybe overkill but its what ive been doing to keep parameters straight. I like to spot feed my corals about 2 hours beforehand.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sand dirty above is the live rock re expressing pent up waste after the liberation, its output is detritus so diatoms, light loving creatures will capitalize on the waste but this is the rebalancing. Now that the tank is cloudless at the base you can be siphoning up the top growth, putting sand back if some comes up during removal, and none of this in/out work is a cycle risk. Your smaller system is a better model for this than a huge system with all the distracting activity and inputs, yours shows how live rock breathing again, it’s pores open, have lots of output to offer (it’s residents not the actual rock portion)

we made the clean system not because it stays that way naturally but because we are free to implement touch up gardening now as needed per tank and no risk clouds of anything can happen, good or bad stuff. Clean = free to work and guide no loss.

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.

Algae: definitely under control. I did an approx 50% water change and there was a bit of algae on the rocks that I scrubbed off easily, a bit of stringy algae on the glass that I scraped away and the sand was kinda encrusted on the surface. I tried siphoning but it was a mess so I just used the turkey baster to suck out the top layer, rinsed in tap and then saltwater and then I put it back in the tank but it was a long and cumbersome process. I'm going to try with daily stirring and see if that makes maintenance easier.

Corals: the cabbage leather is closed again (I think it doesn't like water changes, and I messed up salinity which ended up a bit too low dang) but it was doing really well up until the last wc, I think it's growing and generally looking plump and happy. That green zoa polyp is still not completely open and pale but it does look slightly better, and I think other polyps are showing some signs of wanting to open as well. I moved the striped mushroom because it was trying to hide under a rock and it's now completely open, still a bit shrank but definitely recovering. The big mushroom is not dead yet, it still has that weird looking thing near its mouth but it definitely looks better now. I think it's a hole and I can see the rock through, maybe I injured it while cleaning the rocks and now it's recovering or even splitting.
The new frags I got are doing really poorly. :( I'm pretty sure the smaller one is melting, the other one is hanging in there but still no signs of opening. I moved the plugs on the rocks to get them some more light.

Parameters: all stable. Alk dropped a little bit (9.9 before wc, back to 10.5 now), nitrates went down a tad (about 2 now from 2.5), salinity dropped to 1022, back to 1023 now and I'll raise it back to 1024 by topping off with saltwater. I'm still feeding daily, a sprinkle of powder food and some AA (full dose) every other day. I've been adding the white light back increasing one hour per day and so far no one complained, corals didn't show any sign of distress so I'll keep ramping up until I get back to the original schedule. I still want to change that fixture though, 12w are okay for those corals but I'd like something more controllable and a little more blue than what I currently have.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I have a q

can I link over some of your pics and general summary/name credit to a slow forum I'm trying to get some new works going/boost up a bit

thereeftank.com is rtr friendly, they allow for links to us/not all sites do. they're one of the oldest forums for sure but nowadays only a few posts a day in total. I started a rip cleaning thread there, if we can use your pics as a second example it will help them. rip cleans seem like a voodoo recommend without proofs lol

if so Ill link that thread to you so you can see if your posts help gain momentum for them. my basic view is reef2reef is charged up fully and not going anywhere, or slowing down, for a decades long while... we can use support energy to help community forums break new ground and keep afloat. diversity in forums/logged example patterns= good for the hobby

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @brandon429 sure go ahead. :) My tank is definitely still recovering and not out of the woods so I don't consider it a 100% success yet, but the rip cleaning definitely made things better and hopefully they'll keep improving in the future.
At least this thread is another skip cycle anecdotal example, might be helpful for someone else.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it’s #350 on file

have these questions: what studies have you seen that show your reef not out of the woods yet considering the pattern on file

for your peace of mind, not for the general method. Soft corals always alter their shape. The greater ecosystem is doing well, pics show. You can see by your tanks outcome compared with those, you’re a week past out of the woods. we can wait on the outbound example.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.

Algae: definitely under control. I did an approx 50% water change and there was a bit of algae on the rocks that I scrubbed off easily, a bit of stringy algae on the glass that I scraped away and the sand was kinda encrusted on the surface. I tried siphoning but it was a mess so I just used the turkey baster to suck out the top layer, rinsed in tap and then saltwater and then I put it back in the tank but it was a long and cumbersome process. I'm going to try with daily stirring and see if that makes maintenance easier.

Corals: the cabbage leather is closed again (I think it doesn't like water changes, and I messed up salinity which ended up a bit too low dang) but it was doing really well up until the last wc, I think it's growing and generally looking plump and happy. That green zoa polyp is still not completely open and pale but it does look slightly better, and I think other polyps are showing some signs of wanting to open as well. I moved the striped mushroom because it was trying to hide under a rock and it's now completely open, still a bit shrank but definitely recovering. The big mushroom is not dead yet, it still has that weird looking thing near its mouth but it definitely looks better now. I think it's a hole and I can see the rock through, maybe I injured it while cleaning the rocks and now it's recovering or even splitting.
The new frags I got are doing really poorly. :( I'm pretty sure the smaller one is melting, the other one is hanging in there but still no signs of opening. I moved the plugs on the rocks to get them some more light.

Parameters: all stable. Alk dropped a little bit (9.9 before wc, back to 10.5 now), nitrates went down a tad (about 2 now from 2.5), salinity dropped to 1022, back to 1023 now and I'll raise it back to 1024 by topping off with saltwater. I'm still feeding daily, a sprinkle of powder food and some AA (full dose) every other day. I've been adding the white light back increasing one hour per day and so far no one complained, corals didn't show any sign of distress so I'll keep ramping up until I get back to the original schedule. I still want to change that fixture though, 12w are okay for those corals but I'd like something more controllable and a little more blue than what I currently have.
I’m sure the rip
Clean has helped giving you a clean slate to start from again but the one concerning part is the corals aren’t happy ,
With good conditions they should have bounced back and showed signs of being happy .
I believe being a small nano size and the fluctuations of parameters to be the main issue why they’re not always happy ,

need to work on closer to exact salinity and temp water changes .
As I’m sure you have read .
stability is the key . In a smaller display it’s much harder to maintain
I don’t have the exact numbers but raising salinity over a period of time should only be done gradually ... minimal .
I would personally lower the alkalinity somewhere between 7.5-8.5 dkh but ... that’s just my opinion

OP
OP
Kaisentlaia

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brandon42 I haven't seen any study but I will consider my tank back to normal when the corals will be in a better overall shape, I'm sure it's just a matter of time and good husbandry for now on. The rip clean helped for sure since the zoas that before were always closed and covered in algae now are showing signs of recovery, the mushrooms are okay and the cabbage leather is doing great.

@Rmckoy agreed with that, I ordered another heater that will make the process easier for the next wc.

Regarding salinity... guys, I discovered I messed up big time. That discrepancy between sg and Ca/Mg/alk wasn't sitting right with me so I kept looking for answers and I finally figured it out. I ordered the wrong salt. :eek: The one I got now is the Reef Mineral Salt (which apparently is a thing for the Balling method and I don't even know what that is), while the one I was using initially is only Reef Salt, without Mineral. I can't swear on this forum but please imagine the amount of profanity that came out of my mouth when I realized. That's why Ca, Mg and alk were so high compared to salinity.

I ordered a new batch of salt, the correct one this time, as soon as it will arrive I'll start with daily small water changes to bring everything back where it should be. :mad: Glad that my current corals are so forgiving... we'll see if the new frags will survive the ordeal.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brandon42 I haven't seen any study but I will consider my tank back to normal when the corals will be in a better overall shape, I'm sure it's just a matter of time and good husbandry for now on. The rip clean helped for sure since the zoas that before were always closed and covered in algae now are showing signs of recovery, the mushrooms are okay and the cabbage leather is doing great.

@Rmckoy agreed with that, I ordered another heater that will make the process easier for the next wc.

Regarding salinity... guys, I discovered I messed up big time. That discrepancy between sg and Ca/Mg/alk wasn't sitting right with me so I kept looking for answers and I finally figured it out. I ordered the wrong salt. :eek: The one I got now is the Reef Mineral Salt (which apparently is a thing for the Balling method and I don't even know what that is), while the one I was using initially is only Reef Salt, without Mineral. I can't swear on this forum but please imagine the amount of profanity that came out of my mouth when I realized. That's why Ca, Mg and alk were so high compared to salinity.

I ordered a new batch of salt, the correct one this time, as soon as it will arrive I'll start with daily small water changes to bring everything back where it should be. :mad: Glad that my current corals are so forgiving... we'll see if the new frags will survive the ordeal.
I’m really confused .
Any reef salt should have essential elements
But some have higher alk , cal , etc .
Balling method confuses me as well but instead of dosing 2 part which I current am to maintain stability .
I am looking into the balling method which I believe might be dosing everything and not just calcium and alk .

it’s been on my research priority for about a week ...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe the rip clean helped to clean and get back to a good starting place with established bacteria .
but I also believe education of proper husbandry was what was needed . When you got that particular system you took on a huge job of maintaining something that worked for someone else without the experience or knowledge and understanding of how to “properly maintain “ it .
it will come in time

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back