I have tons of alage please help

bo80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i just have a ton of algae in my tank dont know what to do should i add some more ceramic balls or do more water changes? Its not on my rocks and its only on the sand

image.jpg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i just have a ton of algae in my tank dont know what to do should i add some more ceramic balls or do more water changes? Its not on my rocks and its only on the sand

image.jpg
The maroon stuff is cyanobacteria. Do you have any type of CUC in there? ANy power heads to move the water, creating flow?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maroon stuff is cyanobacteria. Do you have any type of CUC in there? ANy power heads to move the water, creating flow?
You need a good CUC (clean up crew) a combination of several different types of snails and maybe a couple pitho crabs and some blue legged hermit crabs

John T.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, phosphate removers, water flow, Nassarius snails.
This happens to all aquariums at some point.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand or gravel vacuuming should be a normal part of your maintenance. If this is a constant problem, a really good product is Chemi Clean. Clears this up in just a day or two. After use a water change is recommended.

OP
OP
B

bo80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no powerhead i only have a small tank so i didnt think it would be necessary not inly that but my cleanup crew is always at war :/ i think 6 of my hermits have been killed my 4 of my nass snails are still alive and 4 out 7 of my astrea snails have died from getting flipped over while im at school or asleep and get killed

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no powerhead i only have a small tank so i didnt think it would be necessary not inly that but my cleanup crew is always at war :/ i think 6 of my hermits have been killed my 4 of my nass snails are still alive and 4 out 7 of my astrea snails have died from getting flipped over while im at school or asleep and get killed
You really need a small power head. Get some cerith snails

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

You need to tell us a few things.

How big is the tank?
How old is the tank?
What filtration are you using?
How often are you doing water changes?
What are the tank parameters such as Nitrates and Phosphates

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont mind me asking where should i put the power head and what thpe of powerhead would be good its a 20 gallon cube
IMO. i would get this:
Hygger mini wave ($60.00)
(or....get a name brand if you are into that sort of thing)
Put in on the opposite side of your current out. Do 10%/15% wc once a week. after that, algae gone, do once a month. Its part of the uglies......I wouldn't even bother with the tests....small tank like yours (no offense), you will be able to control with the wcs', BUT I would o one to get a baseline......

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew.
He did say he doesn't have a powerhead at all.. so some gas exchange could be good.

I think you may just have a detritus settling problem in the bottom of your sand... Although, if I was dealing with sand in a newer tank I wouldn't stir more than 15-20% of that sand bed during each change.. Could lead to bacterial blooms.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back