Beginner LPS

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m new to the hobby. Have a 30 gallon nano with only softies so far. I feel ready for some LPS. I was curious from your experience, what are some good beginner LPS? Something hardy and that would play well with softies. Thanks!
Most of them are pretty forgiving chalice I don't think I've ever killed one and some grow fast like Hollywood stunner

tinhorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say trumpets/candy cane corals are the easiest. Next Duncan's, acans and hammers. My son has a 25 gallons with a black box led and aquaclear filters on the back. Tank is full of Xenia, leathers and candy cane corals. Has 4 bubble tips and 2 clowns and an eel (will be getting moved to a larger tank soon). I have tried a few other LPs and the candy canes have by far done the best.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans and acans are a must if you enjoy a strong feeding response! They're fantastic. If I had to pick one, though, it would be a duncan.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively new tank <3months old and ive had success with everything I’ve thrown at it. LPS I’ve tried so far is favia, hammers, candy cane, Duncan, hammers, alvepora, leptastrea, blastos, goniastrea, and platy. Out of those favia, candy cane, and blastos have been the least finicky.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers are easy ,
Doesn’t really play nice with many neighbouring corals though .
placement and leaving room between others for sweeper tentacles .
After years and years , I still can’t keep Duncan’s .

lobo , open brain , favia , acan are all considerable easy given stable conditions .
What's really crazy is that 4 months into my reef, the single Duncan is doing better than 2 Green Star Polyps. Go figure

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively new tank <3months old and ive had success with everything I’ve thrown at it. LPS I’ve tried so far is favia, hammers, candy cane, Duncan, hammers, alvepora, leptastrea, blastos, goniastrea, and platy. Out of those favia, candy cane, and blastos have been the least finicky.
My reef is only weeks older, yet I'd be afraid to go with that many corals this soon

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is only weeks older, yet I'd be afraid to go with that many corals this soon
I started with uncured live rock and was cycled within a week. All parameters are stable and I feel like I have a hang on everything. I tested out with some zoas and gsp and once I saw I was getting new polyps weekly I considered myself safe to go

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that hammers are the go to if your tank is fairly stable for the hardiest LPS. I have goniopora, elegance, cyphastrea, Duncan’s, torch’s, Favia, Acan’s & a few others.

I’ve had issues with Duncan’s as well. Crazy because every other LPS coral I listed above thrives in my tank except for the Ducan’s.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with uncured live rock and was cycled within a week. All parameters are stable and I feel like I have a hang on everything. I tested out with some zoas and gsp and once I saw I was getting new polyps weekly I considered myself safe to go
I think that's key. I put in a big chunk of live rock in my Evo, and cycling took ten days last December. I haven't had any problems keeping corals, and my algae problems have been minimal in that build.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210225_122749.jpg

Here's my tank with softies and what I would call easy LPS: hammers, frog spawn, Duncan, trumpet, acans, favia, lobo and a leptastreastrea and leptoseris which are technically SPS but behave like a LPS and have relatively large polyps.
Make sure you don’t get things that sting. Lepto and favia will murder stuff to death if it’s next to them.

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a beginner, and my acan is my favorite LPS so far. I feel like my hammers and frogspawn are perhaps a bit finicky (been trying to fine tune flow around them.) The acan has been zero fuss, with incredible color and behavior.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back