Salt, Salt, Salt!

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to start making my on saltwater and was curious how everyone chose theirs. My LFS uses Reef Crystals, but for whatever reason, my numbers for alk are about 4.5 and mag is insanely high. I use Hanna for alk and salifert for mag. I used to use Tropic Marin Pro years ago before I got out of the hobby, but didn’t have very many corals. I don’t have a lot of corals currently but looking to be LPS dominate with some SPS and some softies. How do you chose the numbers you want?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like red sea products (excluding tanks and mechanical stuff) additives, so I chose my salt because I use AB plus for my corals. My LFS has either a cheap crap salt or red sea or red sea coral pro salt. Thats how I chose!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I used reef crystals exclusively for many years up until a couple of months ago when I accidentally bought 800g worth of plain instant ocean. Reluctantly, I started using the instant ocean and have noticed zero difference in my corals since. It will be plain old instant ocean for me from now on. It works just fine for me.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run alkalinity around 8dkh, calcium around 440 and magnesium anywhere from 1350-1450. I don’t really care what magnesium reads so long as it’s between 1200-1600. It makes no difference.

These are the numbers I’ve chosen after 18 years since my systems do well with them. It’s the stability they like most.

So for salt I pick one that is around those numbers. TM Pro, NYOS, Aqua Forest, ESV, HW Reefer. All work. I don’t care for high alkalinity salts at all. I see no need for them

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For over 30 years I used anything but instant ocean.
I used red Sea coral pro for years. It has a lot going for it and I had no complaints except for the price.
That being said I got a great deal on IO for $26 for a 5 gallon bucket so I jumped on it for fun just to try it.
That was 2 years ago.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to start making my on saltwater and was curious how everyone chose theirs. My LFS uses Reef Crystals, but for whatever reason, my numbers for alk are about 4.5 and mag is insanely high. I use Hanna for alk and salifert for mag. I used to use Tropic Marin Pro years ago before I got out of the hobby, but didn’t have very many corals. I don’t have a lot of corals currently but looking to be LPS dominate with some SPS and some softies. How do you chose the numbers you want?
Use the salt that you can get easily. If you have an emergency you don't want to wait for salt.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run alkalinity around 8dkh, calcium around 440 and magnesium anywhere from 1350-1450. I don’t really care what magnesium reads so long as it’s between 1200-1600. It makes no difference.

These are the numbers I’ve chosen after 18 years since my systems do well with them. It’s the stability they like most.

So for salt I pick one that is around those numbers. TM Pro, NYOS, Aqua Forest, ESV, HW Reefer. All work. I don’t care for high alkalinity salts at all. I see no need for them
This is great info. Thanks!

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals. I started with IO when I was FOWLR, as it got good reviews and was on the less expensive side. I was happy with this so transitioned to reef crystals when I transitioned to corals. Seems to be doing fine.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switch between instant ocean and fritz blue box. I like the fritz blue box since the parameters mix close to my tanks parameters and it is still somewhat affordable around me (my LFS has it for sale around $55). It also mixes pretty quickly and clean. However, its not always in stock so I also use regular instant ocean purple box as well. My LFS sells that for $42 for the 200g box so its hard to beat the price. I never noticed a difference switching between the two other than my mixing barrel getting crud in it from the instant ocean.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What units for alk being 4.5?

I'd ignore magnesium for now:

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Red Sea Coral Pro for a few years ago before I took a hiatus from the hobby. With my new tank I used Reef Crystals the first 6 months, and then got a good deal on Red Sea Blue bucket. I plan to just stick with Reef Crystals in the future. I have a medical grade locking container I store my salt in, so it's cheaper to buy Reef Crystals in bulk and store in there. Plus, the directions are much more clear on Reef Crystals on how much you salt you need to add.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!6 years ago, when I had my last set up, I only used Instant Ocean. This go round, tank has been up for 4 months now, I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals because I will have corals this time. So far so good for me. Also, as someone else here mentioned, get what you have readily available near by as long as reviews are good on it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never judge a salt's parameters if you buy it from the LFS. You just have no idea how they mixed it or came up with it.

That being said, Reef Crystals is a very competent salt.

IMO, the two most important factors in salt is consistency and availability. It is too easy to lower the alk or raise the calcium for me to fight with a brand that is never in stock or has parameters all over the place from batch to batch. Instant Ocean works for me. Most of the public aquariums that buy salt also use it. It also happens to be cheap, which is rare in life for the best stuff to be cheap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the salt that you can get easily. If you have an emergency you don't want to w

What units for alk being 4.5?

I'd ignore magnesium for now:

dKH. I didn't even realize there was one that did ppm.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a mistake. My LFS uses IO and NOT Reef Crystals.

I really did like TM Pro in the past, but before I got out of the hobby it became very difficult to find.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started about 3 years ago I used Red Sea blue bucket. Then I tried Aquaforest Reef salt because it mixed in 20 minutes. Then prices increased and it felt ridiculous to pay so much for salt.

So I changed to Instant Ocean and I boost the mag and cal with EBV. So far so good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Everyone has a favorite brand and purpose for certain salts
I currently have on Hand Reef crystals for my corals but using Tropic Marin Actif for bacteria.
Ive used many salts and Instant ocean (used by Many Public aquariums) is universal for all types of aquariums
One of my favorites is Seachem Salinity.
Red sea, kent, coralife, Fritz and Hawaiian Marine also good salts.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never judge a salt's parameters if you buy it from the LFS. You just have no idea how they mixed it or came up with it.

That being said, Reef Crystals is a very competent salt.

IMO, the two most important factors in salt is consistency and availability. It is too easy to lower the alk or raise the calcium for me to fight with a brand that is never in stock or has parameters all over the place. Instant Ocean works for me. Most of the public aquariums that buy salt also use it. It also happens to be cheap, which is rare in life for the best stuff to be cheap.
Yet again another brilliant post from @jda !!!!

45 years using instant Ocean, don't let anyone tell you it IO can't grow coral. I buy it from chewing on auto ship, cost is between $11.00 - $17.00 per 50 Gallons depending on what year I'm buying in.

Your second question is very easy to answer as a starting place.

Alk between 8-9
Calcium 400 - 450
Magnesium 1350-1450

15" round colonies :)

IMG_6794.JPG

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back