New Coral Keeper Question

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon!

I have been keeping saltwater fish for many years and always had a few corals here and there but never a coral dominated tank..

As I am starting this journey I am noticing that the salt I use (Instant Ocean Purple Box) gives a pretty low mag compared to what industry standards are for what mag should be. Are the 2 options:

1) Keep using IO and start dosing Mag/other elements that will get depleted (in the form of All for One) as my Euphyllia and others consume it?
2) Switch to a different salt that starts out at higher levels which may be more expensive, but doesn't require dosing?

I mix up salt as I need it and don't keep it in a container for long periods of time so thought reef crystals may be a slightly better option.

In the long run does the money I save in the salt just basically get repurposed to additives for Mag, calcium, and Alk?

If option 2 is better in the long run, any salts you guys recommend?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #3
You can always mix Instant Ocean with Reef Crystals to get the perfect balance

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, and have been pretty happy with it!
Thanks for the reply. I have been thinking about reef crystals... From my understanding, it takes a lot of mag/all for reef to get from IO standard levels up to 1300+ each water change.. And that stuff is anything but cheap!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you should make a complete change based on magnesium alone. According to Randy, magnesium is not important to test, and test kits are inaccurate.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon!

I have been keeping saltwater fish for many years and always had a few corals here and there but never a coral dominated tank..

As I am starting this journey I am noticing that the salt I use (Instant Ocean Purple Box) gives a pretty low mag compared to what industry standards are for what mag should be. Are the 2 options:

1) Keep using IO and start dosing Mag/other elements that will get depleted (in the form of All for One) as my Euphyllia and others consume it?
2) Switch to a different salt that starts out at higher levels which may be more expensive, but doesn't require dosing?

I mix up salt as I need it and don't keep it in a container for long periods of time so thought reef crystals may be a slightly better option.

In the long run does the money I save in the salt just basically get repurposed to additives for Mag, calcium, and Alk?

If option 2 is better in the long run, any salts you guys recommend?
I've used instant ocean reef crystals for years it's a good salt, unfortunately the price for it continues to go up. it has good levels of calcium and magnesium along with the RC's....you may need to lower the alkalinity a little if you prefer a lower range.

currently im using redsea blue and it's pretty good for me, choosing between the I.O line I'd use the reef crystals

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used instant ocean reef crystals for years it's a good salt, unfortunately the price for it continues to go up. it has good levels of calcium and magnesium along with the RC's....you may need to lower the alkalinity a little if you prefer a lower range.

currently im using redsea blue and it's pretty good for me, choosing between the I.O line I'd use the reef crystals
I remember seeing the purple box for close to $90 at petco at one point. I now see the 5 gallon bucket of RC on amazon for $60. Tough to beat!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #3
You can always mix Instant Ocean with Reef Crystals to get the perfect balance

This is exactly what I've been doing for the last year but because I bought a bunch of both on sale. I don't test mag often but it was 1350 when I tested last November :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back