Losing my mind.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clue on how to get nitrate down I normal do water change ever other weekend an do 8-10 gals
You can buy a resin to remove nitrate. If your nitrate readings are correct, I would look for causes like a dirty sump, filter socks, etc,.

When was the last time you checked for nitrate ? Only ask to figure out how long it took to rise to this level ?

I might run some carbon until guess work or thought finds the cause for the abnormal coral behavior.

Probably happens !

“So let it be written, so let it be done”

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a resin to remove nitrate. If your nitrate readings are correct, I would look for causes like a dirty sump, filter socks, etc,.

When was the last time you checked for nitrate ? Only ask to figure out how long it took to rise to this level ?

I might run some carbon until guess work or thought finds the cause for the abnormal coral behavior.

Probably happens !

Just deep cleaned sump like 2 week ago. Probably last check was 3-4 week ago. Work been crazy an got Lil side tracked

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, are you dosing any trace elements? Algae turf scrubbers are notorious for stripping out trace elements and making corals look not so hot. A 10% water change won’t really be able to keep up with an established scrubber. What’s more, if your trace elements are depleting, your scrubber won’t really be able to do its job as well because it needs those traces to grow that algae. As soon as I started dosing trace elements with my scrubber my nutrients started to fall, the scrubber started growing algae faster and the corals started coloring up.

Honestly, in a 40 breeder I question whether you need the scrubber at all. Nutrient control and trace element replenishment can easily be handled with water changes alone.

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was questioning his need for kalk with that size tank and his coral stock if he’s doing water changes
True. I can’t see a 40 breeder needing kalk addition that much unless it’s already stacked to the gills (pun intended) with SPS. A couple hand doses of 2 part per week would be all I’d think is needed; if that. Seems like too much going on for the size tank you’ve got. Might be better off just doing a 50% water change and taking all those auxiliaries offline. Larger tanks where it isn’t economical or feasible to do a 50% water change may benefit from the added equipment, but you’re basically in the nano size realm. I think if you take the scrubber offline and do a few water changes you’ll be surprised how good the corals look.

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u guys think turn off kalkwasser dose an the scrubber? The scrubber was helping. With the gha I had

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into benereef it’s a powder food that you mix in a cup of water and pour in the tank or target feed. Its a cleaner food that doesn’t raise parameters much
An I did pick up the benereef last week

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I can’t see a 40 breeder needing kalk addition that much unless it’s already stacked to the gills (pun intended) with SPS. A couple hand doses of 2 part per week would be all I’d think is needed; if that. Seems like too much going on for the size tank you’ve got. Might be better off just doing a 50% water change and taking all those auxiliaries offline. Larger tanks where it isn’t economical or feasible to do a 50% water change may benefit from the added equipment, but you’re basically in the nano size realm. I think if you take the scrubber offline and do a few water changes you’ll be surprised how good the corals look.
What 2 part would u recommend

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk to help maintain pH an cal an all should I turn it down?
A water change cannot keep up with Alk and cal usage. I would continue with kalk.

I use 8-oz of saturated kalk every night on my frag tank of ~18-gallons. Simple, low cost and very easy to adjust.

Now that I have many sps corals in my frag tank I need my alk and cal stable.

Probably happens !

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water change cannot keep up with Alk and cal usage. I would continue with kalk.

I use 8-oz of saturated kalk every night on my frag tank of ~18-gallons. Simple, low cost and very easy to adjust.

Now that I have many sps corals in my frag tank I need my alk and cal stable.

Probably happens !

So maybe just turn off scrubber. An see what happens

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea saw mixed review about that stuff. Thinking I do the same suck shirt not cheap
I have no experience with AB+coral food , if it is the cause or not of your high nitrates I would not turn off your algae scrubber.

Probably happens !

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the gravel is having a negative impact here. Maybe not providing the surface area, and biological filter, like a live sand bed would? Or some other issues as a result of it?
I do have bio cubs in my sump to help with the bio

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back