Beginner needing Help

Sargent Fish Wrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I am looking a make a saltwater aquarium/ reef thing. I have a 90l (around 20 gallons) aqua one cube tank that i got of Facebook marketplace a while back and have finally decide to use it for something. I have kept a few freshwater fish before and have a good idea on how to manage those tanks. Generally I have an idea on what i want for this tank and how to run it but i though before i stuff things up i should ask. Right now from watching many youtube videos i think i want 2 clowns, a fire goby, a banggai cardinalfish and cleaner things like crabs and stuff. Eventually i would like to add corals or maybe i should do that first i don't know so if you have and good ones for beginners let me know. Any recommendations on filtration the tank does have a stand/cupboard for it but right now but I was thinking the Fluval U3 internal filter just cause I don't know what else to get. Right now i have a heater, light and cleaning stuff because that all came with the tank or i had it from previous freshwater tanks. Also any recommendations for wave makers and protein skimmers as i don't have those yet. I don't have unlimited money so if you can think of any cheap or value for money ideas they would be appreciated
Thanks for any future help i get.

IMG_0685.jpg

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the same freshwater “rules”
1) cycle
2) add livestock slowly
3) add you cuc once there’s enough algae for all of them to eat
4) take it slow

You don’t necessarily need a protein skimmer, sure it’s a nice addition but in smaller tanks it’s usually easy to lower anything with a larger water change.

If you want coral then I think an ai prime is a really decent option. You don’t need it right away as you should give yourself time to learn the aquarium swings and wave strength. Black Fridays coming up so for now I would just get a cheap one (under $25) on Amazon just so the fish have a day/night cycle.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single most important thing is your rock and sand.
In time, they house all those things we don’t see, but are absolutely necessary for long term success.

I’d get that stuff in soon, with a bottle of bacteria, some light flow, and no light for now.

With rock, sand and the bacteria added, in 2-3 days, your ready for your first fish or two, clown pairs are good additions, these will continue the cycle building higher populations of the good guys.

I always use carbi-sea purple rock as I’m not waiting for a year or so to have nice looking rockwork.

I don’t add any corals until my fish friends are complete, and the system shows a high level of stability in its water chemistry.

You can add skimmers, fuges, scrubbers down the road when you need them. You only need them when your maintenance routine can’t keep up with exports of wastes.

Have fun.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google "the berlin method", the main filtration on salt tanks is with rocks and flow. Mechanical and chemical filtration are optional, and on a small tank like a 20 gallon, not neccessary. My 15 and 20 gallon tanks have no filters, just rocks, flow, and weekly water changes.

Do lots of reading as opposed to videos, saltwater is so different than fresh, its almost a whole new hobby to learn. This will help:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back