Beginner saltwater fish

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish. Just do it, man. Everyone has to have at least one clownfish in this hobby. It's a rule ;)

Seriously though, clownfish, blue/green chromis, watchman gobies, damsels (careful, some are little devils), basslets, psuedochromis (same as damsels), and cardinalfish are all pretty forgiving and widely available in the hobby :)

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hardy ones :D

What I would suggest is to get your tank setup, let us know the size of your aquarium and first thing you want to do is look at adding a CUC (clean up crew).

With fish stocking you will be restricted by the size of your aquarium and then what is compatible for what you plan on keeping.

What do you have so far and were you planning on keeping any coral?

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about the consensus of watchman gobies versus lawnmower blenny's. Lots of love locally for lawnmowers -- anyone have pros and cons of one versus the other? 40b reef

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about the consensus of watchman gobies versus lawnmower blenny's. Lots of love locally for lawnmowers -- anyone have pros and cons of one versus the other? 40b reef
Blennies can be fickle IME, they need algae to eat and have done better for me in mature tanks. Every goby I have had eats like a pig, but only half of the blennies I have had would even eat and it wasn't like I wasn't offering them stuff like nori, flakes and good stuff like Rod's Food.

OP
OP
B

Bryancalderon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hardy ones :D

What I would suggest is to get your tank setup, let us know the size of your aquarium and first thing you want to do is look at adding a CUC (clean up crew).

With fish stocking you will be restricted by the size of your aquarium and then what is compatible for what you plan on keeping.

What do you have so far and were you planning on keeping any coral?
Its a 32 biocube from coralife.
I was thinking about some gobies, a blenny and clownfish, maybe some tangs.
Corals: montiporas, mushroom, toadstools, candy cane, torches or a hammer

OP
OP
B

Bryancalderon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish. Just do it, man. Everyone has to have at least one clownfish in this hobby. It's a rule ;)

Seriously though, clownfish, blue/green chromis, watchman gobies, damsels (careful, some are little devils), basslets, psuedochromis (same as damsels), and cardinalfish are all pretty forgiving and widely available in the hobby :)
Got it! Clownfishes and gobies and blennies. Do you recommend a yellow tangs or any other tangs??

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryan -- one key is patience for sure. Don't know how long your tank has been set-up, but you want to let things cycle, stabilize a bit and the begin to add CuC, fish, etc a bit at a time. Apologies if I am covering ground you have already covered. Check this out... https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/beginners-guide-to-acclimation-and-quarantine.299/

I would suggest tangs need a bigger tank - but the others are good fit.

OP
OP
B

Bryancalderon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryan -- one key is patience for sure. Don't know how long your tank has been set-up, but you want to let things cycle, stabilize a bit and the begin to add CuC, fish, etc a bit at a time. Apologies if I am covering ground you have already covered. Check this out... https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/beginners-guide-to-acclimation-and-quarantine.299/

I would suggest tangs need a bigger tank - but the others are good fit.
The tank has been running for about a month! Nitrites and ammonia are at 0!

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your choices sound good. Gobies and blennies tend to do better in matured tanks, as the flora and forna is more established and it's what they graze on, but their diets can be supplemented to compensate in a new tank.

As previously advised, add slowly. I would probaby start with the clownfish after the CUC.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh clown fish! Everyone wants one but boy do I hate the little so and so sometimes, so aggressive when I dare stick my hand in HER tank to clean the glass! Black and white one and she is really beautiful as well...

Damsels! I had a few jumpers and I am convinced the damsel drove them to the point where they committed suicide, since the damsel passed on I had no new jumpers! Never again...

OP
OP
B

Bryancalderon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your choices sound good. Gobies and blennies tend to do better in matured tanks, as the flora and forna is more established and it's what they graze on, but their diets can be supplemented to compensate in a new tank.

As previously advised, add slowly. I would probaby start with the clownfish after the CUC.
Got it!

OP
OP
B

Bryancalderon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh clown fish! Everyone wants one but boy do I hate the little so and so sometimes, so aggressive when I dare stick my hand in HER tank to clean the glass! Black and white one and she is really beautiful as well...

Damsels! I had a few jumpers and I am convinced the damsel drove them to the point where they committed suicide, since the damsel passed on I had no new jumpers! Never again...
I'll start the clownfish first to see how it goes

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back