Beginners Help

blueboy67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am a complete beginner at both electronics and programming but by following the Adafruit guides and a lot of Googling I now have my Reef Pi working for temperature and water level. I would now like to try and integrate control of an old Ebay special black box LED which I believe dims the LED's via reducing voltage. Using the Adafruit Guide 1 I have wired the Pi to a PWM to voltage converter (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19432662...Zvjp6BgPDs3Oio5Q4C3jh0aUtQ==|tkp:BFBM_ODi54Bi) and the output to a voltmeter and following the guide if I simulate switching the LED on and off from the Reef Pi interface I can see the output on the multimeter change from 0.37mV to 9.74V. I then went back to the Reef Pi interface and set up a plug, went to the lights tab and switch to manual control and adjust the slider, my thinking being increasing the slider will increase the voltage out and this will switch on and brighten the LED's until they get to 9.74V which is fully on.
This is as far as I can get as the guide says adjust the slider and click on update "Once the new light is available, click on it, edit it and change set the profile to manual. Set the slider to 50% and click on update" but I dont have an update button and further down it says "You can verify the LED is being dimmed as you update the light's value in reef-pi using the slider and click save" but I dont see a save button either.
Am I on the right track here and just missing a blindingly obvious update/save button or it is on a different page or am I getting this completely wrong ?
Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club !

The guide was written for an older version of ReefPi. In the current version there is no extra button to set the slider value. Just bring the slider to 50% and wait a few seconds for ReefPi to update the PWM outptu to 50% duty cycle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back