Belize Coral and Fish

Keepswiming

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
826
Reaction score
411
Location
San diego
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know if i can purchase or collect coral/fish in Belize? I am going with my girlfriend in July and thought it would be cool to collect or buy direct on my vacation. Any info regarding this or Belize in general is much appreciated!
 
I doubt it. A lot of places require special permits and shipping them back to the U.S. will probably be a problem as well.
 
Short Answer: No.
Long answer: My wife is a physican and goes the Belize twice a year for secular medical mission work. She is pretty much the doctor for an entire region. The reefs there are protected. Sure - you could snag something but it's doubtful you'f get it back through customs. Let alone get it back alive. I don't know of any fish stores there - but again you probably couldn't get anything back to the states. Last time she went, she picked up some small pieces of broken coral that had washed up on the beach and brought those back. She put them in the checked bag. Had they been found they would have been confiscated and she would have been in trouble as you can't prove that you "found" them and didn't break them off the reef. I don't think she will do that again.
 
I doubt it. A lot of places require special permits and shipping them back to the U.S. will probably be a problem as well.
That is exactly what i thought, there will be an issue with the U.S. customs. Oh well, I guess ill just enjoy them in their natural environment. :)
 
Short Answer: No.
Long answer: My wife is a physican and goes the Belize twice a year for secular medical mission work. She is pretty much the doctor for an entire region. The reefs there are protected. Sure - you could snag something but it's doubtful you'f get it back through customs. Let alone get it back alive. I don't know of any fish stores there - but again you probably couldn't get anything back to the states. Last time she went, she picked up some small pieces of broken coral that had washed up on the beach and brought those back. She put them in the checked bag. Had they been found they would have been confiscated and she would have been in trouble as you can't prove that you "found" them and didn't break them off the reef. I don't think she will do that again.
First, that is great to hear about your wife's work overseas. I was fortunate to experience many countries while I was in the navy, which led me to study medicine so that I can help out as well.
The fish and corals that we purchase come from a collection site somewhere (depending on the origin of the species of course), hopefully i can find the local collectors. If not ill just enjoy the dives, DARN! :)
Thanks!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new