Benny’s Eshopps Mariner M40 Build

Benny’sTank

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
50
Reaction score
38
Location
St. Petersburg
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few years with a Hello Reef 15g, we splurged and are starting a Mariner 40. This tank is a 40 gallon display, with a total system volume of a little over 50 gallons. I’m starting this thread a few days late, but that makes it easier to quickly provide some updates.

*Edited to add updated picture of tank* IMG_7549.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Tank arrived and we picked it up from LFS already out of its shipping crate. That being said, the sump was sitting inside of the tank, and the stand (which we put together), was separately boxed. We were able to move the tank with two people, as it was shipped on a “Fragile - Glass” particle board.

The stand was well boxed, and put together like an ikea shelf.
20260314_005606.png
 
As this system is new, I couldn’t find a lot of details on the sump so I’m happy to add some photos here on R2R.
20260314_005817.png


20260314_005825.png


For me, coming from an AIO, I’m super happy to set up and enjoy a sump to hide all the equipment.
 
As you can see, we have hardwood flooring. Part of upgrading the tank was a promise to my wife that we would take some precautions to ensure we were smart with our tank placement, and took extra precautions for our peace of mind.

On that note, I can’t say enough good things about the Mariner. The “armored” silicone (particularly with our recent silicone trouble with my last tank) was a selling point, along with the thick glass, that meant a lot to my wife. Likewise, having a herbie overflow on this (comparatively) small system is awesome (and silent, so far).

For the house, I got under the crawlspace and added extra support under the tank. I should’ve taken better pictures, but it’s a pain to get under there so the one will have to do.
20260314_010847.png
 
Unfortunately (for those few looking at this thread in the future), we got so excited setting the new tank up that we stopped taking good pictures… whoops.

Before the tank came in, we did spend some time trying to finalize our “new” rock.
 
We cycled the tank in only a few days, did several water changes to flush any manufacturing residuals, and added everything from our previous tank.

Some of the macroalgae did not do well, so I’m hoping for a quick recovery in the new tank, but here’s a current FTS (with a filter on)
20260314_013335.png
 
For a lid we went with the DD Jumpguard (https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/d...tics/?searchid=9287190&search_query=Jumpguard). Down the line, we might spring for an acrylic lid - but can’t justify the cost yet.

We are very happy with the way it came together. Especially with the reverse corners included with the kit, which let us leave a cutout for the overflow. I’m still learning the sump and overflow, so having the ability to check the water level without needing to take the whole lid off is great.
20260315_200332.png
 
For a light, we’re using a 21 inch blade grow…. Lights are so expensive, and having used the 12 inch blade that was included with the HelloReef kit, this choice felt the safest to us. Down the future, I’d like to upgrade the light(s) - but this has made our anemone and coral happy for the last year+, so fingers-crossed to continued success.

I copied my schedule over from the last tank, but upped each light level roughly 15% given the depth of the Eshopps Mariner.
20260315_200834.png


The light sits near the very very edge of the plastic bracket, as a warning to anyone thinking of doing the same.
 
Do you know the dimensions of the filter dock chamber. Wondering if it can fit a Red Sea roller mat?
 
Do you know the dimensions of the filter dock chamber. Wondering if it can fit a Red Sea roller mat?
Filter chamber is the Eshopps rectangular filter sock (7×4.5”). Those dimensions are further listed on their website here if it’s helpful: https://www.eshopps.com/product/rectangular-filter-sock/

I’m interested if you hear of someone putting a roller on this tank, but would guess because it’s so new, people are still getting the tank dialed in. I’m probably going to get a media basket (for now)!
 
Following along!
 
Installed the media basket today! I had to slightly “round” the corners with some sandpaper to get it to slot in just right, it overall really happy with the fit. Currently running filter floss and a pack of carbon.

20260322_172247.png
 
Also built a small shelf to hold my test kits, food, and power strip under the cabinet. Got a new ATO container to also fit under the cabinet. It’s not a glamorous view under the cabinet, but as the tank is in the corner of our living room it’s nice to have everything in one spot (other than the Water change and quarantine stuff that stays packed up in the garage until needed).
20260322_172854.png
 
Filter chamber is the Eshopps rectangular filter sock (7×4.5”). Those dimensions are further listed on their website here if it’s helpful: https://www.eshopps.com/product/rectangular-filter-sock/

I’m interested if you hear of someone putting a roller on this tank, but would guess because it’s so new, people are still getting the tank dialed in. I’m probably going to get a media basket (for now)!
I got the Mariner M70 and put on the Nature Dimensions M filter roller. With their adapter it fit the filter sock area perfectly without any modifications needed.
1000005662.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new