Berghia nudibranch

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowering the Berghia temp is helpful when your Berghia:Aiptasia ratio is too high. They will complete their entire life cycle as low as 67F. I have not tried lower for a full life cycle, because that is as cold as I set my home thermostat in the winter if I am home. Of course the lower temperature also decreases feeding rate, slows growth and development, etc as you would expect.

If the Berghia have been at a low temperature for a long time, I raise them back up slowly (72F for a day, 75F for a day, then 78F for a few days) before rehoming them to avoid a temperature shock, but I don't know if that is really necessary.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captured 6 easily.
1 small
4 medium
1 medium - large with reddish tones
1 large with reddish tones

I would sell the group for 40$ + sh
Keep in mind the large sell for 27$ a piece and I haven’t seen them available in months.

issue is we need fast shipping and there’s no movement on sundays.

Anyone interested I have a water tight jar and insulated boxes. Send me a pm

7B30C967-A2BD-45A1-A965-F5060A5A05FB.jpeg F48DBFAD-0F0E-4F16-BB3F-42D14B7A4856.jpeg 6BC66531-20E0-40E9-8518-BFB8FC495C1C.jpeg
I want some of those beasts

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 14 to my 75g tank in January. Berghia are pack hunters until they are fully grown. To truly outcompete the aiptasia which are constantly reproducing, your berghia need to reproduce also. They need to lay eggs and start the process of multiplying beyond the amount we originally buy

I have defeated massive infestations twice with berghia. What I learned is

1) a tank is very large for them. Aiptasia is everywhere. I divide the tank in thirds and make 3 berghia starting colonies. I turn off flow completely and using a wide pipette tool, I place them in groups of 5 on the left, center, and right side of the tank. Let them grab on rock and hide. And then then on flow and lights.

2 months went by. 2 months. And I didn’t see a single berghia. And I was checking at night with a flashlight. Didn’t see one for 2 months.

Then one day at almost exactly the two month mark, I found one at night. And then I saw it again the next night. And a few days later I saw 2. And from then on I could find a few out at night at any random time I chose to look. Then I started seeing big huge ones in the day time. I saw groups of smaller ones working together to eat aiptasia.

This all started around mid to late march. We are now at the end of April and I haven’t been able to find an aiptasia for a week and the berghia are randomly found in my sump or floating / drifting looking for new spots. I am convinced if I had any aiptasia they would be on top of it.

These came from reef town btw
This is promising. This is reefing… I don’t mind waiting as long as it works!! I also bought from Reeftown just got them this week 8 medium for my 75 gallon RS 350.

I had been manually fighting the aptasia demons and it was slowly getting worse… and worse…Then bam!! Now manually it’s like wack a mole haha It was when I started seeing them on the sand I realized I was losing the battle terribly.

Hopefully 8 are enough to reproduce and flourish , they certainly have plenty to eat!! I put them all in the same area which in hindsight should have split it 4/4 in each half of the tank, but I figured all in one area was best bet to assure some would make it and reproduce.

Should I continue to kill the aptasia manually you think? Because in 3-4 months tank will be overrun!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is promising. This is reefing… I don’t mind waiting as long as it works!! I also bought from Reeftown just got them this week 8 medium for my 75 gallon RS 350.

I had been manually fighting the aptasia demons and it was slowly getting worse… and worse…Then bam!! Now manually it’s like wack a mole haha It was when I started seeing them on the sand I realized I was losing the battle terribly.

Hopefully 8 are enough to reproduce and flourish , they certainly have plenty to eat!! I put them all in the same area which in hindsight should have split it 4/4 in each half of the tank, but I figured all in one area was best bet to assure some would make it and reproduce.

Should I continue to kill the aptasia manually you think? Because in 3-4 months tank will be overrun!

It will be ok but might take a little longer for them to spread out. First priority for them will be to breed and make eggs

Stop going after aiptasia manually unless it’s actually stinging a coral. There will be no need in a few months. You are on a path to success. As long as you have no predators then you just need time

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey! In a few months when it’s over run, I’ll take a bunch from you.. I’m trying to get more and breed Berghias! So please lmk!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back