Best 3D printed upgrades for the Red Sea Max Nano (Peninsula)

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a few 3D-printed upgrades for the Red Sea Max Nano (Peninsula) since I bought this in Sep 2022, and I wanted to see if others had seen other helpful upgrades or some that were not so helpful after all.

I have bought the following:
  • Various testing KIT stands (Hanna, Salifert, etc.) - I could not find these for Aquaforest testing kits (Magnesium).
  • Reefer LED Light Shade - I have found this actually NOT helpful, as it does reduce the light in certain areas - not sure what others think.
  • Random Flow Generator - Dual nozzle - I have found this very good
  • Filter Upgrade kit - essential upgrade, in my opinion
  • Extended Filter Tube - for additional filter material, but not sure if really helpful.
  • Overflow Covers - this did stop the flow when I cleaned this and reattached this, but great when it works (small fish, invert, etc.).

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a few 3D-printed upgrades for the Red Sea Max Nano (Peninsula) since I bought this in Sep 2022, and I wanted to see if others had seen other helpful upgrades or some that were not so helpful after all.

• Various testing KIT stands (Hanna, Salifert, etc.) - I could not find these for Aquaforest testing kits (Magnesium).
  • Reefer LED Light Shade - I have found this actually NOT helpful, as it does reduce the light in certain areas - not sure what others think.
  • Extended Filter Tube - for additional filter material, but not sure if really helpful.
  • Overflow Covers - this did stop the flow when I cleaned this and reattached this, but great when it works (small fish, invert, etc.).
I think you are close to having exhausted the opportunities there unless someone has a better imagination than me :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have seen 3d printed filter rollers for the small Waterbox, Innovative Marine and Fluval aquariums but i am unsure if you can have one for the Red Sea tank.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've made quite a few of my own. Radion mount, recirculating skimmer lid, probe and level sensor bracket, and a lot more in the cabinet. I might do a build thread in the future.

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made quite a few of my own. Radion mount, recirculating skimmer lid, probe and level sensor bracket, and a lot more in the cabinet. I might do a build thread in the future.
It would be great to see pictures or further details of these. I am particularly interested in the recirculating skimmer lid and its purpose.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great to see pictures or further details of these. I am particularly interested in the recirculating skimmer lid and its purpose.
Here's a CAD view of the lid. One port goes to the skimmers air intake and the other goes to the airline I use to pump outside air into the skimmer cup
1687539744947.png

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I switch back over to PETG, I might try this new design that has a drain and a manual neck cleaner

1687546166156.png

Kimsti89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any advice on a media basket to replace the sock? I hate socks lol it’s a deal breaker for me if there’s no option for a replacement

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any advice on a media basket to replace the sock? I hate socks lol it’s a deal breaker for me if there’s no option for a replacement
Yes, I agree, the socks are terrible, and I have initially wasted a ton of time figuring out how to deal with this. Below is what I am using, which works very well.

Also, I have used the extended filter cup for a while but it was not practical for my needs, but you might find this useful:

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree, the socks are terrible, and I have initially wasted a ton of time figuring out how to deal with this. Below is what I am using, which works very well.

Also, I have used the extended filter cup for a while but it was not practical for my needs, but you might find this useful:

do you just run filter floss in it then?

Sanroy74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi any links to purchase these please TIA

StackTrayce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased from LeafgreenSolutions thru this etsy item link.
Came within days of ordering.
I have the baffle/weir in place but am back to this thread to research what to put in filter tube and how to remove paper coating from silencer :)
max-nano-baffle-weir.jpg

max-nano-weir-and-tube.jpg

Here is the silencer with paper cover. Anyone have tips on how to remove it? I've run it under water and scraped w/ my fingernails so far and it isn't coming off easily.
silencer-paper.jpg

Current shot of leather near overflow
max-nano-leather-nov27-2023.jpg

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, correct. I keep the carbon and gfo in the return pump chamber.
if you're just using filter floss in the media cup, and keeping carbon and gfo in the return pump chamber, wouldn't filter socks be better than filter floss? I'd imagine filter socks would catch more than filter floss

StackTrayce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter socks are a pain for me to get back in (Red Sea max nano). I was thinking floss in media cup would be easier.
What would I run in the media cup other than filter floss?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 50 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back