Best Advances in Reef Equipment In Last Twenty Years

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back into reefing after a 20 year absence and I really love some of the advances in equipment in that time period:

LED Lighting- Cool, energy efficient, controllability. I used MH back in the day and though I loved the look, LEDs are far superior in a number of ways. I loved the shimmer, but my Kessils are about as good with that.

Controllers- Love my Apex! Convenience, protection, simplifying tedious maintenance, consistency.

Auto Top Off and Water Changes- What's not to love!

Of course these things are not without their own issues and require attention and maintenance to make sure they perform as expected and are reliable. LED lights are definitely not plug-and-play and require proper adjustment. All of these items add complexity and that means there is more to go wrong, but with careful planning monitoring and maintenance they can really make your reefing life easier.

Is there anything I left out?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hannah Ultra Low Phosphorous Checker.

I can live without most of the rest... just different way to do the same old thing. Controllers can be OK once people realize that they are only really good at being a timer and a monitor... so there are some good monitors on the market if you set them up right and don't rely on them too much.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think that there is a knee jerk tendency to think that everything has changed - then upon deeper thought, conclude that very little has changed. Probably the truth is somewhere in between. As a lifetime diver, I tend to think that ALL of the lighting choices available to us are to be found wanting. For me personally, I think the flow devices now available are the most interesting evolution.

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think that there is a knee jerk tendency to think that everything has changed - then upon deeper thought, conclude that very little has changed. Probably the truth is somewhere in between. As a lifetime diver, I tend to think that ALL of the lighting choices available to us are to be found wanting. For me personally, I think the flow devices now available are the most interesting evolution.
You are correct that there is a lot that has not changed. I am using the same IP salt mix I used to use, my RODI system is essentially the same, protein skimmer is identical (Reef Octopus Classic). I think the biggest difference in the lighting is that there is much more diffusion of light reflecting off various surfaces.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer technology/design using the venturi has been a game changer from what they previously were, no?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the changes are not earth-shattering, unless one enjoys nanos and pico tanks. LEDs have been amazing for those small systems and tiny little powerheads work well although it's just less work than an air pump.

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer technology/design using the venturi has been a game changer from what they previously were, no?
You raise an interesting question. I do believe the introduction of venturis in skimmers increased their effectiveness over the traditional recirculation design. I am pretty sure, though, that there were venture skimmers 20 years ago, but am not 100% certain. The one I used back in the day (don't remember brand) worked well, but am not sure if it was a venture type, it was just recommended to me.

Maybe someone on the forum knows when venture skimmers were introduced. I could not find anything on Google, but Google Patents describes a design patent from 1994 that sounds like it might be a venture.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LifeReef Venturi skimmers are still a best-of-breed skimmer that will outperform any needlewheel that I have ever seen - these are amazing skimmers. Downdraft and Becketts skimmers will outperform needlewheels too, but they are also older tech. I don't think that skimmers have benefited from any new advances other than perhaps some really small models to fit into some biocubes and small sumps.... just hype from bubble plates, cones, uniform bubble sizes all that amounted to a bunch of nothing.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back into reefing after a 20 year absence and I really love some of the advances in equipment in that time period:

LED Lighting- Cool, energy efficient, controllability. I used MH back in the day and though I loved the look, LEDs are far superior in a number of ways. I loved the shimmer, but my Kessils are about as good with that.

Controllers- Love my Apex! Convenience, protection, simplifying tedious maintenance, consistency.

Auto Top Off and Water Changes- What's not to love!

Of course these things are not without their own issues and require attention and maintenance to make sure they perform as expected and are reliable. LED lights are definitely not plug-and-play and require proper adjustment. All of these items add complexity and that means there is more to go wrong, but with careful planning monitoring and maintenance they can really make your reefing life easier.

Is there anything I left out?
I think water flow has been the biggest real improvement. I think many would argue that mh lighting is still the best at growing coral. I do use led’s now though, along with t5.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just hit me about what has really increased the most in the last twenty years... unfounded and ridiculous claims by manufacturers. Most are very self promoting and ever borderline liars. Some have even set up their own "labs" for "research" that always shows that their stuff is best. The ridiculous claims used to just be supplement makers, but has now expanded into all equipment.

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just hit me about what has really increased the most in the last twenty years... unfounded and ridiculous claims by manufacturers. Most are very self promoting and ever borderline liars. Some have even set up their own "labs" for "research" that always shows that their stuff is best. The ridiculous claims used to just be supplement makers, but has now expanded into all equipment.
I don't know about the aquarium supply industry (but I'll take your word for it), but ridiculous claims have been around as long as advertising has existed. Elixirs that can cure just about anything being sold by traveling salesmen in the old west.

BTW as an avid record collector, I love your Y & T butcher block cover avatar- I wish I owned one!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easy way to get the Fluconaze is to buy Reef Flux from ReefHD. Or raid a medicine cabinet, it think it is used for Yeast Infections.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like wavemakers have come a really long way. You hardly ever see new systems set up with a closed loop, most likely because powerhead controllers and powerhead pump options give you more control than a closed loop ever could.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like wavemakers have come a really long way. You hardly ever see new systems set up with a closed loop, most likely because powerhead controllers and powerhead pump options give you more control than a closed loop ever could.

Gotta agree with that one. I have 2 1100 gph powerhead the size of an egg that I can fully control with my phone and it cost less than 110.00!! That’s advanced

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needle Wheel Skimmers and MP40s were huge for me and much of the hobby and I still have two of my originals running and in use.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back