Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention worms and bacteria, among other things. The size difference between the two can be tremendous. Unless you are referring to smaller worms, you might want to consider getting two microscopes: A dissecting scope for larger organisms, and another for bacteria. In the case of bacteria, you'd want one with an "oil immersion" lens.

How important is it to have a video output? You can get an analog scope on Ebay, of high quality, used for under $200 easily (example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nikon-s-ty...bn5:rk:10:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_BIN=1)

If you were to get an analog scope, you can retrofit it with a camera (video or still). Photographic capabilities would come in handy if you wanted to upload your images in order for others to help with identification.

This is a good resource in relation to coral disease:
https://coastal.er.usgs.gov/crest/research-themes/coral-disease.html

You might not need to buy a microscope. Local high schools and colleges have scopes that would meet your needs. You might be able to contact a local department, tell them of your needs, and they might let you use theirs a few times per year.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, an inexpensive microscope is just fine for what we're doing. All you need is a 4x, 10x, and 40x objectives. I wouldn't go any higher than 100x. When you add the 10x eye piece... these now translate into 4x = 40x, 10x = 100x, 40x = 400x, and 100x = 1000x. I rarely find myself going beyond 400x magnification.

When I first started out...I bought the $2,000 microscope. Don't get me wrong...some of the scopes are nice because the have photo/video ports where you can use a USB camera or other high dollar camera to capture still images and video. But as far as magnification goes....you don't need 20000000000x to see parasites. :p

Anybody can buy a $200-$300 scope and take video through the eye piece. Yeah, it's not ideal...but it works and if you really like your cheap microscope and feel like it's something you wanna do regularly....then treat yourself to something nicer with more bells and whistles.

We'll get deeper into this but I want you guys to look at this one first and read this. Then translate how much this scope costs in the U.S. I do wanna say it's over priced on this website. ;)

http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/fishdiseasemicroscopes.html

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention worms and bacteria, among other things. The size difference between the two can be tremendous. Unless you are referring to smaller worms, you might want to consider getting two microscopes: A dissecting scope for larger organisms, and another for bacteria. In the case of bacteria, you'd want one with an "oil immersion" lens.

How important is it to have a video output? You can get an analog scope on Ebay, of high quality, used for under $200 easily (example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nikon-s-ty...bn5:rk:10:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_BIN=1)

If you were to get an analog scope, you can retrofit it with a camera (video or still). Photographic capabilities would come in handy if you wanted to upload your images in order for others to help with identification.

This is a good resource in relation to coral disease:
https://coastal.er.usgs.gov/crest/research-themes/coral-disease.html

You might not need to buy a microscope. Local high schools and colleges have scopes that would meet your needs. You might be able to contact a local department, tell them of your needs, and they might let you use theirs a few times per year.

I agree with SW. Don't buy a high dollar scope. Talk with people first and do some homework. Try to barrow a scope from somebody that has one to see what they're all about. Make sure you can find a parasite with one first and know what you're looking for. It can be difficult and frustrating at first. You'll quickly see that these expensive high powered scopes aren't needed for the aquarium hobby.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be hesitant to buy any scope that doesn't have separate course and fine tuning focus knobs. This one only has a course adjustment.

Also, look for glass optics over plastic for improved clarity.

The best views will come gettin optical magnification...the digital mags will normally be grainy in appearance.
definitely get both coarse and fine adjustments and a mechanical stage. Needs a good light source too.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to do next is to read about all the different features on these microscopes. Go to a place like Amscope and click on the $5,000 scope and read about the bells and whistles compared to a $300 scope. You’ll quickly see there’s some things you’ll absolutely want, others that you very much need, and some that don’t do you a bit of good. :p

For example... here’s a good read:

https://www.amscope.com/microscope-parts-and-functions/

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Someone with more experience can weigh in, but I can offer some general info. First, as has been mentioned, you don't need a top-of-the-line instrument. Frankly, I don't know how much quality you do need, though. The differences between lower and higher quality are (and I'm sure I'm leaving something out):
-How well the overall scope is machined; whether course/fine adjustments operate smoothly or roughly over their entire range.
-Features: Does one type of scope have lighting, for instance that another lacks?
-Optical quality: This breaks down into the following areas:
Precision grind of the lenses
Precision fit/alignment of the lenses
Coatings of the lenses
Glass quality of the lenses

I really don't know what the overall fit/finish and the optical fit/finish is like on the cheaper modern scopes. As for the optical quality, coatings on the lenses degrade over time, and can give a "mottled" appearance to that which is viewed. In my personal experience, I've never found this to be a deal breaker. In fact, I'd personally prefer degraded coatings on an older scope that has lenses made of low-iron glass with superior fit to a modern scope with better coatings.

This is why I, personally, would buy a $200 used scope from the 80s rather than a newer inexpensive scope. It's a gamble though, in that you don't have a warranty, might not be able to return a defective scope, etc. I know that eventually all binoculars will fail as a result of moisture intrusion, though I don't know how long this will take. Some binoculars made in the 80s have failed, while some made in the 40s are still going strong. I might be comparing apples to oranges, as I don't know if this is a problem with microscopes.

I just really want to brings the above up for discussion. I'm not an expert, and will let others with more knowledge comment. All in all, I don't know if you'd be better off spending $200 on a new cheap scope or an older used scope.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a $39.95 Amscope and it was terrible! I could make out Dinos on my slide, but the image quality was very poor and smeared. I returned it and picked up a higher level Amscope that is excellent for what we are looking at everyday in our tanks. It uses glass optics and has fine/coarse tuning adjustments. It was only $89 on Amazon. He's the link...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AM5XB5O/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can easily hold my phone over my eyepiece and get excellent videos/pics...but, the digital screen on those listed earlier in this thread would be helpful. Just wanted to show a decent lower cost option for those wanting to quickly see what they are dealing with in their tanks!

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a $39.95 Amscope and it was terrible! I could make out Dinos on my slide, but the image quality was very poor and smeared. I returned it and picked up a higher level Amscope that is excellent for what we are looking at everyday in our tanks. It uses glass optics and has fine/coarse tuning adjustments. It was only $89 on Amazon. He's the link...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AM5XB5O/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can easily hold my phone over my eyepiece and get excellent videos/pics...but, the digital screen on those listed earlier in this thread would be helpful. Just wanted to show a decent lower cost option for those wanting to quickly see what they are dealing with in their tanks!

In place of a dissecting scope, I bet the OP could use a microscope attachment for a smartphone to get slightly better image quality than would be had with the on-board camera.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work we use a universal smartphone holder to take images to send to the reference laboratory for cytology. They have actually contacted us to find out what our setup was because they thought the images were of excellent quality.

This is off a microscope that I've replaced the oil and high dry with $40 lenses.

I can get the lens and holder brands tomorrow if anyone is interested.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work we use a universal smartphone holder to take images to send to the reference laboratory for cytology. They have actually contacted us to find out what our setup was because they thought the images were of excellent quality.

This is off a microscope that I've replaced the oil and high dry with $40 lenses.

Yes please!

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't follow. Did you mean to include a pic? Are you saying that you replaced an oil immersion lens with something else?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd be interested in the name and model of the smartphone holder you are using.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back