Best affordable microscope

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I totally spaced on getting the brands today, year end inventory day..

Ill get it Wednesday.

As far as the lenses, I had to replace the oil immersion lens after it was left sitting in the oil and the inside of the lens got oil in it. The high dry was drug through the oil and ruined. The replacements I ordered were $40 each.

I deleted the cytology pics I've taken, but that is the microscope and phone holder I used to take this video.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not great resolution but dinoflagellates are id able with a kid scope and a camera phone. 1000x and some weight to it(so doesnt move when trying to snap a pic) so something metal not plastic. Would help those that are just differentiating between genuses might not get a species id but will say its dinos not cyano. This way there is an entry level reefer option :)

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following I need one but it's hard to pick for me at least lol :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This one has worked well for me with very clear images. It's actually fun to pick out some algae gettin the back wall and just take a look at what's in there! Im amazed at all the life that showed up... especially since i started with dry rock and dry sand!

Order though through Amazon and you have 30 days to try it out. If it doesn't work, return it for full refund. That's what I did with the cheaper one I initially bought!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AM5XB5O/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Am Scope compound microscope and a stereo dissecting microscope that I find way more useful for actually looking closely at the corals for pests like flatworms, copepods etc. Every new coral I get gets dipped and fully inspected before going into my quarantine tank for at least 2 months. I inspect each piece every couple weeks. These are things you cannot readily see with a hand lens.

I find the compound microscope only really useful identifying cyanos and dinos. You can't put a coral under it.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Am Scope compound microscope and a stereo dissecting microscope that I find way more useful for actually looking closely at the corals for pests like flatworms, copepods etc. Every new coral I get gets dipped and fully inspected before going into my quarantine tank for at least 2 months. I inspect each piece every couple weeks. These are things you cannot readily see with a hand lens.

I find the compound microscope only really useful identifying cyanos and dinos. You can't put a coral under it.

That's probably a great idea.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a microscope is a lot like starting a new reef tank.

Don't buy anything for a least a few months while you do a lot of homework. You will quickly see that your first choice was not the best choice.

Also consider what you will be doing with it. Do you just want to look at parasites? Do you want to take quality photos and videos? Are you OK with shooting video though the eye piece? It's challenging and if you'd like to share with people on the message board...I'd get a photo port with USB or similar camera. I can assure you that it's not just pixel's that are important. There's a lot of other stuff that's super important for good quality images and video. The camera is not something that you really want to slack on. There's no way around it...they're expensive...or at least the one I want is. :D

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I totally spaced on getting the brands today, year end inventory day..

Ill get it Wednesday.

As far as the lenses, I had to replace the oil immersion lens after it was left sitting in the oil and the inside of the lens got oil in it. The high dry was drug through the oil and ruined. The replacements I ordered were $40 each.

I deleted the cytology pics I've taken, but that is the microscope and phone holder I used to take this video.

Thanks. By the way, that's a "Sand Worm", from Dune. :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cellphone adapter we use is made by carson. It's the Hookupz 2.0. We use a variety of phones, including iPhones and Samsung S series. The iPhones tended to need to have protective cases removed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCHLDWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-2slCbZRN6610
The lenses are Labomed LP series and can be found new on Ebay

da4f9998812606145713616f65c86cdc.jpg
b63baf4962a8d2312e94eac6fb955b58.jpg
7ce3bd55b7d75fc8448066a2f9449b86.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this microscope and absolutely love it. In particular, the coarse & fine focus knobs and smooth X and Y-axis scrolling knobs are very useful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006BGVIMQ

While it has a trinocular port to attach a camera, I've found it's easier to just place my iPhone in a universal eyepiece adapter to capture video, so you could probably be fine with just the binocular version of the scope to save a few bucks. Here are some examples captured from my iPhone:

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
59e1e30edc9b17998a3a7429902f5d71.jpg

Examples of Dinoflagellates with a $10 micrpscope and a camera phone.

Not the best picture i have but
22af17b0f4567134338b8ecba97f18e6.jpg
9afc0bec1faa99a0ea1f5d05ef98d1d6.jpg

Not the greatest clarity, but easy to tell what you are dealing with. And for disease enough to say its ich ~.3mm vs velvet
~.05mm just using some known comparison like a grain of iodized table salt.

Also ran a couple experiments using red 40, the red food coloring in your cabinet, as a microscope dye. Since red 40 in some scientific studies selectively bound to chitin over other compounds. Since chitin is not found in most algae but is found in most Dinoflagellates. Was inconclusive, but the dinos i experimented on were unarmored [emoji23]

Last edited:

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread reminded me to break out my scope. I don't know what model it is, my mom gave it to me, it's nothing fancy. But I just took some hair algae out of my sump and found some worms. Here's a quick phone video.
Is there a thread for microscope ID's? Would love to know what I'm looking at and whether it's good or bad.

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a stereo microscope from amscope.com. Around $250. I’m really happy with it. It’s a cheap scope but does everything we need. It’s not the highest of quality but the image is plenty good enough and it takes color pictures that are good enough. There were cheaper ones that are probably good enough too.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd favor purchasing a used, high quality microscope. For example, I bought a Zeiss dissecting microscope on Ebay for $200 a few years back.

You can hardly go wrong with one of the major brands, i.e., Nikon, Olympus, Zeiss, Leica, Leitz, Wild. Most medical and veterinary students are required to buy these and often sell them after graduation. I just searched on Ebay and see quite a few for less than $500 and some really good ones for less than $300. Many more in the "sponsored items"

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back