Best Amino Acid to support Zooxanthellae

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea but i like the simplicity of the red sea energy and its price point. Wonder if there are any studies on this, so tagging along :)

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to hear @Randy Holmes-Farley thinks of Aspartic Acid dosed in powder form that's readily available in pure form from Amazon

Aspartic Acid seems to be the leading candidate if you read about Aspartic 3/4th the way down this article:

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/corals

"In this perspective, there seems to be uncharted territory for both aquarists and scientists, who can test the effects of concentrated amino acids on coral growth and coloration. Aspartic acid is an interesting candidate to start with, given its important role in organic matrix synthesis and skeletal growth. It is possible that corals which receive a concentrated aspartic acid supplement on a daily basis show faster growth compared to corals fed with zooplankton (which may provide less aspartic acid). The outcome of such an experiment is determined by whether corals fed with zooplankton are growth-limited by their combined internal and external aspartic acid supply."

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle has done a lot of work with photosynthesizing corals, he may have some insight into nutritional needs for zooxanthellae.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image_full

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conclusion of the article very well could have been, ‘supplementation of AAs within a reef aquarium cannot at this time be recommended’.

The conclusion could have even included something like, ‘Despite the clever colorful marketing of AA supplementation..........’.

Perhaps could have been even more brazen and pointed out how marketing is simply taking advantage of the tidal wave from the health and fitness industry. Another industry utilizing clever colorful marketing to blur the lines of science, truth, and profitability.....cough....lies.

I hope it’s not too obvious I don’t believe the hype.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back