Trace elemnts vs amino acids lets talk about that

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so at the moment i have a very detailed trace element dose process based on bi monthly icp tests.

all is good.

I was pondering the addtion of amino acids to my dosing list. but not really clear on if it would be helpful or not. its my long term understanding that aminos are kind like coral foods and i already dose reef roids .so whats the diff betweeen amnio acid dosing, trace element dosing and reef roid dosing? this is kinda a nutrition/chemestry question so if this thread needs moved thats fine.

google says---
– Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Proteins are the components of a cell that do the work. They grow, maintain, and regulate the functions of a cell. Corals need amino acids to build proteins so they can grow, maintain, and regulate their bodies.

Trace elements can be replenished through regular water changes or with chemical additives. They can also be introduced from foods including amino acid supplements. It turns out that a lot of brands of amino acids don’t just contain amino acids, they are bundled with trace elements.
thanks

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amino acids are especially useful if you are maintaining a very low nutrient aquarium as they can supply N to organisms that take them up.

I am not sure how beneficial they are to corals in higher N environments, but they may help bacteria and zooxanthellae in corals grow faster.

It was shown years ago that some amino acids are usefully gotten from the environment for certain hard corals. Aspartic acid, for example, which is heavily needed by calcifying corals .

I’ve never dosed them so will leave results comments to others.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amino’s? Listening, following

Trace elements? never came across a reliable system for measuring, monitoring or dosing with any precision or clue….
TBH, always depended on water changes and now recently I’m using All-for-Reef with the occasional water change and hoping for the best…
…I’ve seen “some” positive evidence on occasion tossing in stuff like “Reef Plus” and assorted Iodine products but nothing substantiated with metrics or data

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added AF amino acids for about two years. 4 Drops of 4 different products in about 70 gals every day. My growth in montis, lobos, duncan has been amazing I have to believe that the adding has made a difference. My tank has been set up for 10 yrs.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, BRS are the only ones to have done a side-by-side comparison of aminos vs no aminos, and they marked a noticeable growth difference and better colors long term. That, along with anecdotal evidence from places like WWC, etc (who make their living growing and selling coral) was enough to convince me.

I also use All for Reef (traces included) and supplement occasionally based on quarterly ICP tests. I don't view it as trace VS aminos, as they accomplish different, complimentary things, though.

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your tanks nitrate influence your decision? I’m running between 20-30 ppm nitrate, which is higher, but my tank seems happy. I now worry about tweaking something and have it snowball into disaster. Buuuut, it sure would be nice to see a little faster growth and better color.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your tanks nitrate influence your decision? I’m running between 20-30 ppm nitrate, which is higher, but my tank seems happy. I now worry about tweaking something and have it snowball into disaster. Buuuut, it sure would be nice to see a little faster growth and better color.

IMO, it impacts the rationale and expected benefit.

At very low nitrate, amino acids may be supplying a critical source of N.

At higher nitrate, that additional N is likely not needed, and the aminos are only being added to provide them as protein building blocks.

One needs to be careful to not confuse the two scenarios when looking at aquaria and seeing an effect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back