Best approach to set up new 34g tank while 24g is still running? Algae Q too!

slowride175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am hoping the experienced folks here can give me some advice on moving/setting up a new tank because I haven't done this in probably 15 years at least and I have never actually done this specific thing either. I am going to be moving to a larger tank 34g AIO from a 24g Nanocube, that currently has sand, 1 clownfish, a few softball sized live rock with zoa, and a metric ton of green hair algae all over the rock and everything else. I finally bought my own RODI 5 stage from BRS so I am hoping mixing my own salt and having verified clean water I make myself will help the new tank with algae since my current tank spent 99% life on "trust the store" me being lazy water. I lug jugs up and down the basement steps already because I use that water for cooking and drinking now of course.

I decided (I think, that is why I am here lol) to go bare with no sand in the new tank, with one new piece of live rock that has been sitting in my basement for years unused dry AND two of the algae-covered zoa rock from the existing aquarium.

Do I need to be concerned with bringing over that rock if it has been algae dominated for quite some time? Any concerns with the dead piece of rock? The new tank, which should be free of whatever is feeding the algae now, I assumed would just starve off what is there and maybe some turkey baster/tooth brush in-tank work and some water changes it would be ok.

How do I do this?

Step one, I was going to set up the tank on the extruded aluminum stand (I still need to cut and assemble AND buy something for underneath the tank like HDPE), and fill it with new mixed saltwater, and put that piece of dead live rock in it and see if it leaked, how the pumps work etc.

I was going to then take out one of the zoa-covered live rock from the running tank and clean it off in a saltwater-filled bucket of all algae and detritus, and put it in the new tank. I was then going to light it and let it run and figure out the rest as I went since it would cycle like that right? The original tank will still be running, minus one piece of zoa rock, so just cycle patiently? Figured I would test parameters and water change like 5-7 gallons out if they spiked. I was going to move the fish over after I figured out the cycle, etc so he/she will be fine as long as old age doesn't get em so I have time really.

I would appreciate any opinions on how to do this without causing myself problems right out the gate! I also hope I was clear on what I am doing so any questions to clarify are also welcome.

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! It sounds like you have a well-thought-out plan for setting up your new tank and transitioning your livestock. Moving from a 24g Nanocube to a larger 34g AIO tank is an exciting step. Your approach of using your own RODI water and taking control of your tank's water quality should indeed help with algae issues.

Regarding the algae-covered rock from your existing tank, it's a good idea to clean it thoroughly in a saltwater-filled bucket before transferring it to the new tank. Scrubbing off the algae and detritus will prevent the transfer of excessive nutrients to your new setup.

Your plan to set up the new tank, test it with the dead live rock, and observe for leaks and pump performance is a prudent move. This allows you to ensure everything is working smoothly before introducing your existing live rock. When you transfer the zoa-covered live rock, you're also transferring beneficial bacteria, which should help with the cycling process.

As you mentioned, monitor water parameters and perform water changes if needed to maintain stability during the cycling phase. Moving the fish over after the cycle is complete is a good approach, as it gives the new tank time to establish a stable environment.

Overall, your plan seems well-considered. Just remember to be patient, monitor water parameters closely, and make adjustments as necessary. If you encounter any unexpected issues, don't hesitate to seek advice from the reefkeeping community or professional experts. Best of luck with your new tank setup!

OP
OP
S

slowride175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Thank you for the response. I will work on that plan then and see how it goes. I have to figure out which test kit to get, and I still need to research which additional pump(s) to drop in there but getting the stand built is priority one and I will cut those pieces today and get on it so I can start the process of adding water, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back