Setting Up Replacement Tank - Cycle Questions

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM replaced my troubled tank and our new stand from tenecor is set to arrive on Friday. We saved the sand from the old tank and it is in buckets for now. We do plan on rinsing it out with rodi water later this week, but don't have the ability to spread it out to dry anywhere. We will be adding water to the tank to where we can run the return pump. add salt to hit ~1.026. We will then slowly add the rinsed sand so any other particulates hopefully go down the overflow. We expect to replace the filterfloss every hour, if not more frequently, while the remaing gunk in the sand makes it's way to the sump. Once that is looking good, we will move a bag of ceramic biomedia from the holding tank to the sump and add some bacteria. We expect some cycle, but I am curious if we should treat this as a completely new tank and add bottled ammonia, or would me using all previously cycled media and rock from our holding tank suffice? We would absolutely test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates before adding the livestock to the tank. Thoughts? Anything we are missing or over simplifying?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your live rock doesn't know or care which container it resides in, it will still do its job. No need to cycle again.

Fresh sand is typically recommended. If you rinse it thoroughly, that would be OK but a big hassle and maybe not worth the time or risk.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back