BEST Auto Top Off (ATO)

ReeferDude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using the Tunze 3155. Love the dual sensor redundancy but I wish it didn't prime itself every time it starts. I've got a Reefer 170 and doing 2 feed cycles a day means a lot of extra RO water in the sump.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many hobbyst suggested the tunze osmolator to me when i was looking for an auto top off device about 5 yrs ago .
I have been using this same tunze osmoaltor for 5 yrs now .
If you are in the hobby for a long time. Any top off will help alot in this hobby and also keeps your water consistence.
Tunze is a widely used top off but there are many other top off out there that fit your wallet and also reliable as well...
I just dont like those brs pump as they require you to use with either a timer or a controller like apex or reef keeper...etc.

goodk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled-4.jpg

You'll see the acronym ATO mentioned a lot on the forums. It stands for Auto Top Off. What is an auto top you ask?

An Auto Top Off System automates the addition of water to your saltwater aquarium that is lost due to evaporation.

I have used a couple different ATO's in my time as a hobbyist including a JBJ ATO and a Tunze Osmolator. I currently am using the Tunze version.

The good thing about these systems are the fact that they eliminate an almost daily chore. The problem with these systems are issues that can happen with any equipment we use in our tanks. They get old/used and parts fail.

So what about you? What has been a really good ATO in your experience?
I also have the ATO Tunze Osmolator Part # 3155.. I would like to use it directly in sump without pail. But do not know how to do it. Do i have to use it with pail. Or is there a different way, i can use it without pail. This is
Just switched from the JBJ to the Tunze 3155. So far I do like the Tunze a lot more, the noise the pump makes annoys me but at the same time lets me know that it is running. I really need to crack the Tunze display open and turn the alarm off or as low as it will go. I am using floats in my sump on the Apex BOB so the alarm in my case isn't needed.

Saul Goodkin

goodk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many hobbyst suggested the tunze osmolator to me when i was looking for an auto top off device about 5 yrs ago .
I have been using this same tunze osmoaltor for 5 yrs now .
If you are in the hobby for a long time. Any top off will help alot in this hobby and also keeps your water consistence.
Tunze is a widely used top off but there are many other top off out there that fit your wallet and also reliable as well...
I just dont like those brs pump as they require you to use with either a timer or a controller like apex or reef keeper...etc.
My name is Saul Goodkin i also have the Tunze Osmoaltor 3155. can i use it without pail like directly in sump or must i use pail

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also have the ATO Tunze Osmolator Part # 3155.. I would like to use it directly in sump without pail. But do not know how to do it. Do i have to use it with pail. Or is there a different way, i can use it without pail. This is

Saul Goodkin

I apologize but I am not really sure what you are asking.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and I just picked up the Avast Marine Bar Tender to handle filling up my water tanks!

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a hydor ato for the last three years and love it because it doesn't use a float switch, which I feel fail to easy. I only clean my ato level probes once a year and in three years have never had a problem.

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to bump this thread with some news I got from Tunze. I was talking to them the other day about the pump for the 3155. I had mentioned that I have gone through a few pumps and I cannot believe how loud and honestly cheap they are. Apparently, this is a big problem that they have been working on for a while. There will be a completely new pump for the 3155 soon. They said it will be a very nice pump compared to what they have been issuing for a long time. Once they replace those current pumps I would buy another ATO from them.

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to bump this thread with some news I got from Tunze. I was talking to them the other day about the pump for the 3155. I had mentioned that I have gone through a few pumps and I cannot believe how loud and honestly cheap they are. Apparently, this is a big problem that they have been working on for a while. There will be a completely new pump for the 3155 soon. They said it will be a very nice pump compared to what they have been issuing for a long time. Once they replace those current pumps I would buy another ATO from them.
So have they upgraded the pump?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only tried two, the Tunze Nano Osmolator and the XPAqua Duetto. The Duetto is superior to the Tunze. It is so small and compact. Easy to set up and just very simple to use. I also need to mention that XPAqua supports aquariums in the classroom and offered us a nice discount on the Duetto. First class company and product.

Last edited:
Back