Best begginer coral that looks like a anemone?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a solo female. She lives in a nem and is just fine alone.
I think I would be better off with 1 clown fish and 2 other fish, rather than a pair and 1 other fish.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the clown… like with most other fish. My current clowns have decided that my fox coral is an anemone. The fox Coral doesn’t agree so it deflates. They also like one of my heaters. I’ve had other clowns that liked a very precise corner of the tank. They seem to be extremely territorial and not necessarily with coral but with any structure they choose. As long as you get to know them and know not to touch whatever they’ve picked as theirs you’re mostly fine.

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A weeping willow toadstool. It has the movement of a torch without the headaches of a torch.

Attachments

• PXL_20231211_204531952.TS~2.mp4
    54.5 MB

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Duncan corals and toadstool for their movements. Also if you can find a wall hammer or wall octospawn or euphyllia that is a wall variety they are usually cheaper bc they aren't the branching kind.

Also I like my pair of clowns they are fun to watch together. I've had my current pair a little over 4years and they've never tried to mate so far they are just great being friends. Mine currently host a toadstool leather. They leather doesn't mind but it does retract a little when they get the zoomies inside it but it will come back out in like 15mins time afterwards.

20240203_215237.jpg

So I wouldn't be worried about anything. They also have a friend who is a royal gramma in my tank and the 3 of them hangout a lot.

But if you want 3 different fish I get that too. I have a black and white ocellaris and a regular orange and white. It made it easier to tell then apart when they were the same size. They're obviously older and one is now the female and much bigger.

But thats how I got away with making it seem like I got 2 different fish even though they are technically the sane species.

But back to your original question I suggest toadstool leathers with long polyps and duncans. Both of those are easy to care for. Duncans are also fin to feed.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the other recommendations.

Some would disagree with me, but I think an Australian elegance coral (a small one) is probably the closest thing to a nem. I would classify them as easy-intermediate. Definitely do your research, but I used to have one and absolutely loved it, was my fav coral in my 35g. I'm still debating on trading my bubble coral in (its huge) for a small elegance instead. Keep in mind though that elegance does sting (like a nem). Mine was responsible for a lot of snail deaths. But I was ok with it :)

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here... love the look and movement of nems in the tank. I am also kind of new to corals, but have some softies and doing well. I have a pulsing xenia about the size of a softball on it's own rock because can propagate and spread lol. I also have a GSP frag which moves in the current, but again it can spread quickly. I recently purchased a duncan coral to try. I like it because it looks similar to a nem in some ways.

pearlela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is off topic, but I really want clown fish, but when mating they get really aggressive, so I was thinking of getting just 1, so I don't have to worry about aggression. How did that go for you? Did the clown fish seem any different than having a mate?
Not really to answer to your question about clown aggression. My first tank mate about 12 years ago was a female clown . On Second day in the large 90 gal tank she drew blood from my daughters fingers . Over the years she went through two mates and had been sharing tank with 9 other species. She still gets upset and shows displeasure when hands are in the water. For some strange reason bully Harlequin shrimp when she is trying to flip hers CC star fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back