Best Bio-Media?

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recenetly started a fuge for my 29g DT + 20g sump, 5g fuge. I have been running a sulfur denitrator as I have had problems w nitrate in the past. It now tests 0-1 consistently. This is not enough for Chaeto growth if I'm not mistaken, so I'm looking to convert the sulfur reactor to a biopellet reactor, since I'm already dosing NoPoX too (1.5 mL daily). Anyways, I was just looking for suggestions on the best bio-media to run in this reactor? Looking to maintain nitrates above 1 but below 5 I think. Please comment what would be optimal for chaeto growth. Thank you all so much!! :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any biopellet will work. They just need to be seeded if you want them to work right away.

However, why not see if the chaeto can handle the nitrate by itself?

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough..

"Keep it simple, stupid."

Definitely gonna give this a shot. :)

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use biopellets now and have been phasing out cheato. Biopellets don't need lighting and don't suffer unpredictable die offs. Not knocking cheato at all, but I want to keep nitrate in a controllable range and and bio pellets are more predictable and tweak able. I also have a small sump and just don't have the room for a swamp of rolling cheato.

I just use the standard resin biopellets you get from BRS, etc..I put them in a couple media bags and just let them sit in a high flow region of my sump. Never used a reactor. Takes about a month for the bacteria to fully seed, but I like the set it and forget aspect. As one bag gets depleted I add another.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back