Best budget auto top up?

Cdubs205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one I got from Amazon it’s a smart ato thsts literally the name just a magnetic sensor and small pump it’s only 49.99 on Amazon and I’ve had it on my 205 for over a year with no issues. The tunze nano is double the price.

tiny tim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD Aquatics, H2Ocean compact ATO.
Excellent bit of kit with a lot of smart tech for next to no money.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using one from Autotopoff.com for 10 years with no problems at all. I don't think you'll find a better one. You can use any type of pump with it. Aqua lifter or MJ pump.
This.
Been running these float valves for 15+ years, still in working order and have not failed.

I have one for auto top off on my display tank. (55g then, 220g, and now 29g) so you see they work for all different size tanks.

The other is for making fresh water on my Spectrapure RODI and the 50g Brute trashcan.

These fantastic valves are the best for value, simplicity and longevity.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a vote for Tunze. Have the Tunze Osmolator mini on my 50g cube. 2yr with essentially no issues.

Not sure if linking to other reef forums is OK, apologies to the mods if not, please delete the link if so.

Here is DIY link I found if budget is a concern. Alternatively you could just fill some 1-2L bottles, but that's not automatic.
I would also suggest a mechanical switch if possible for any ATO you purchase. Generally safer option. The sensor type switches can get a bit wonky. Had a reefbreeders but a. the 12v power plug was ON the sensor so saltwater corroded it easily and B. It was acting up beforehand.

You just need to decide what your budget is. Time is money too - imo there is a price for convenience. What is the going rate for you? :)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice is DONT SKIMP ON AN ATO!! That’s the only piece of equipment that can fail and dump gallons of fresh water in your tank and wipe everything out. Spend the 200 and get an old reliable Tunze. Seriously you can skip other places but don’t skimp on that.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run several of the Tunze 3155 and feel they are the best. I do use the JBJ on my IM 20 nano and have never had an issue with it.

IMG_5982.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I need an auto top up for my 250 litre Red Sea tank. The ball valve thing sucks, I’ve replaced it so many times, it’s so unreliable. Just looking for a better one. Not looking to spend too much money on it because there are some other bits I want to upgrade on the tank as well! .. and maybe buy more coral..
Ive tried smart ATO units and they simply quit performing after some time. It appears you get what you pay for and the risk is overflooding, drop in salinity and not adding water at all. Tunze seems to be the most reliable at a cost and I focus on reliability over costs. After buying two at $65 and then a more reliable unit, in essence I paid over $220 for three units with two dead and might as well have bought the reliable $100 unit to begin with

jajasonson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jbj nano ato. $89 and reliable. They’re also very good with customer service and honoring warranties.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, on 2 of my 3 aquariums I use the $50 ATOs from Amazon and a 5 gal salt bucket. Works great. No problems. Super cheap top off solution.

On my Gen 2 625 Reefer I use the second generation Duetto ATO, and it's more expensive but I felt like it was worth it for the peace of mind.

hswan1180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky with my Eshopps R-300. It uses a float for top-off. My suggestion is to go gravity top-off if possible. The reservoir should be slightly smaller than the amount of water that it would take to overflow the sump, just as a precaution. I have never had mine fail but is always good to plan ahead for it.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with many of the above posters.

1) don't skimp on the ATO!
2) go with Tunze!

I bought my first 3155 used and I still ran it for at least 13 years. The sensor started to get a little finicky so I bought a new unit. Kept the old one as a backup but I doubt I'll ever need it.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue with getting a cheep ATO or honestly an expensive 3155 is it only has to get stuck on 1 time and you are screwed. Make sure you have a separate high level sensor in your sump just incase and be able to shut it down if it gets stuck on. Fresh water will kill everything so fast even if you catch it quickly and change water and get it back to 26 chances are all your acros are toast and other sensitive corals and fish are going to struggle to get better. If there is one place to not skimp is the ATO. There is a reason the Tunze has basically been the exact same for almost 10 years. I think the only real change was adding optical and mechanical sensors in that time. I would love to rely on an old school float valve ATO and man Jake used to get me feeling so confident that it’s awesome and never fails and my tank is already set up for one but I don’t think I can do it. I would like to try Red sea’s new ATO. It has low water sensors, high water shut off sensors and a back up. Cheeper than the Tunze but still too new for such an important item. Here is a question? Should you replace it after a while like heaters? Mine has Been working fine for 2 years now. Should I get a new ATO on my terms not after the fact? I swap heaters every couple years just in case. BRS advocated for that a lot, but they sell them so who knows. I know you can get parts for the 3155: anyone else get new ATO’s every couple/few years just in case?

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I've has some issues with salinity swings from them so I tend to shell out a little extra. But If you want to go real budget there's the water bottle ones!
I use water bottle top offs on nano tanks. I love the peace of mind knowing it will never dump and salinity stays rock solid, but filling them up every couple of days is definitely a bummer haha

My gf keeps saying she wants to travel so I guess some tank automation is in my future.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue with getting a cheep ATO or honestly an expensive 3155 is it only has to get stuck on 1 time and you are screwed. Make sure you have a separate high level sensor in your sump just incase and be able to shut it down if it gets stuck on. Fresh water will kill everything so fast even if you catch it quickly and change water and get it back to 26 chances are all your acros are toast and other sensitive corals and fish are going to struggle to get better. If there is one place to not skimp is the ATO. There is a reason the Tunze has basically been the exact same for almost 10 years. I think the only real change was adding optical and mechanical sensors in that time. I would love to rely on an old school float valve ATO and man Jake used to get me feeling so confident that it’s awesome and never fails and my tank is already set up for one but I don’t think I can do it. I would like to try Red sea’s new ATO. It has low water sensors, high water shut off sensors and a back up. Cheeper than the Tunze but still too new for such an important item. Here is a question? Should you replace it after a while like heaters? Mine has Been working fine for 2 years now. Should I get a new ATO on my terms not after the fact? I swap heaters every couple years just in case. BRS advocated for that a lot, but they sell them so who knows. I know you can get parts for the 3155: anyone else get new ATO’s every couple/few years just in case?
The 3155 is designed to run a max of 3 min and then it will shut off, even if the water level is too low. This limit is likely much lower on the Nano version. It's a great feature and it has the float switch as a backup. Unless someone has their ATO reservoir set up incorrectly and a siphon develops, I've never heard of one failing by adding too much water.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3155 is designed to run a max of 3 min and then it will shut off, even if the water level is too low. This limit is likely much lower on the Nano version. It's a great feature and it has the float switch as a backup. Unless someone has their ATO reservoir set up incorrectly and a siphon develops, I've never heard of one failing by adding too much water.
Just look it happens
Hi. This evening, my tunze ATO filled my tank up to the brim. It exhausted all the water in my reservoir, and I don't know what made it finally stop pumping into the tank. This is the SECOND time this has happened to me in the approximately 1 year I have had this ATO. I don't understand what could have caused this, I checked everything and nothing appears to be wrong. I'm just really scared now to leave my tank with the ATO plugged in, knowing that it could do something like that and potentially lead to a disaster in my living room. That’s from nano reef.com
It is supposed to stop but at the end of the day electronics WILL fail. The only sure way to avoid this is to use a smaller reservoir than something that could destroy your tank. I have a 5 gallon ATO reservoir and I keep it at 3 gallons or less. Yes, I have to fill it up more, especially in the winter time but it’s piece of mind. And I am using the new version 3155 with 2 optical and 1 float. My tank is only 68 gallons but if I overflow it on the wood floor, I’m a dead man for ruining the house, and I’m gonna never forgive myself for killing thousands and thousands of dollars of fish and corals. It’s just one of those things that you have to take a risk with. Every time I do a water change I take a soft toothbrush and clean the optical sensors on the ATO every couple months I take the pump out and clean it, and also rinse out the ATO reservoir. And I make sure the brain of the 3155 is out of my sump area and not in a humid spot that’s about all you can do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back