Small tanks that aren't AIO that can support a sump config

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I really want for a small tank (<200L) is a sump I can put below as I want to customise how I do my water treatment and work on some projects like a phyto auto feeder etc. However in Australia there aren't that many options for tanks that don't include having to buy the whole kit with cabinet, sump, skimmer, etc etc. Its all extremely pricey and I don't want to buy a complete Red Sea or Cade top to bottom.

I was hoping there would be more options for a tank that has a built in weir to go to a sump but I've so far been unable to find one. Alternatively I've never worked with glass so buying a bare tank to drill holes in would involve buying a lot of hardware to do so.

I'd love to hear if anyone has found options for tanks on the smaller side that work with sumps in Australia, or if you've worked up a solution for some tank type + a ghost weir!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling glass is actually super simple. All you need it a power drill and a diamond hole saw - not expensive at all. Check out my build thread if you like, I made a frag tank system from scratch (aside from the tanks, I just bought normal un-drilled tanks, didn't make them myself)

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling glass is actually super simple. All you need it a power drill and a diamond hole saw - not expensive at all. Check out my build thread if you like, I made a frag tank system from scratch (aside from the tanks, I just bought normal un-drilled tanks, didn't make them myself)
It's not out of the question sure. But that's just one step. I also have to build and glue in a weir. Is it going to stay cost effective?
You could by a hang on back overflow or a mame overflow.
Funny those suffer from not being able to skim the surface water? Never heard of a mame overflow.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not out of the question sure. But that's just one step. I also have to build and glue in a weir. Is it going to stay cost effective?

Funny those suffer from not being able to skim the surface water? Never heard of a mame overflow.
yes, you can just buy a pre-fab overflow kit that doesn't require glue-ing. I have used and can recommend eshopps eclipse.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, you can just buy a pre-fab overflow kit that doesn't require glue-ing. I have used and can recommend eshopps eclipse.
It does look interesting thanks. A lot of reviews seem to complain if leaks, though some found solutions with better gaskets.
If I wanted to look for other brands or options, what am I searching?
Mame overflow. Lots of various materials and companies make. https://reefbuilders.com/2014/01/20/mame-nano-overflow-review/
Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like they can get noisy though. I'll keep reading.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I really want for a small tank (<200L) is a sump I can put below as I want to customise how I do my water treatment and work on some projects like a phyto auto feeder etc. However in Australia there aren't that many options for tanks that don't include having to buy the whole kit with cabinet, sump, skimmer, etc etc. Its all extremely pricey and I don't want to buy a complete Red Sea or Cade top to bottom.

I was hoping there would be more options for a tank that has a built in weir to go to a sump but I've so far been unable to find one. Alternatively I've never worked with glass so buying a bare tank to drill holes in would involve buying a lot of hardware to do so.

I'd love to hear if anyone has found options for tanks on the smaller side that work with sumps in Australia, or if you've worked up a solution for some tank type + a ghost weir!
I know it. It's like the industry seems to think that if the tank is smaller, it needs to be an AIO which is very narrow minded and frankly disappointing. But that's why I don't buy from them.

There are very few small tanks purpose built for an overflow and sump, and that is sad.
You pretty much have to have it custom built if you want a nice tank these days.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look interesting thanks. A lot of reviews seem to complain if leaks, though some found solutions with better gaskets.
If I wanted to look for other brands or options, what am I searching?

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like they can get noisy though. I'll keep reading.
I just added another gasket for mine on install, no leaks to speak of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back