Anemones that will stay near the bottom or that I can trap in a sand pot?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am thinking about changing up the stocking in my 29 gallon and some clowns plus a nem sounds pretty appealing. That said, I have a bunch of corals I don't want to kill so I am looking for a nem I can sort of isolate, either by the nems choice (something that might like to hang out at the bottom of the rock work) or something I can "traps" (like keeping a sand dwelling nem in a pot of sand). I am not set on anything right now, just looking into options.

That being said I have not had luck "trapping" nems in the past haha.

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower anemones could be a great alternative, unless you're specifically wanting your clowns to host a traditional anemone.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddoni carpets and long tentacle anemones would work and are a hosting anemone to quite a few different species of clowns.
Sebae anemones like the H. Aurora and H. Malu will stay near the rock and sand interface and will host some clowns (pink skunks, sebae, maybe clarkii). Sebae H. crispa, the larger of the sebae nems, will most often settle near the rock sand interface and will host several species of clowns, however, some specimens of crispa have been known to plant their foot up in the rockscape so there is a slight risk with that one getting close to your corals. That's about it for hosting anemones that plant themselves near the sand bed.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haddoni carpets and long tentacle anemones would work and are a hosting anemone to quite a few different species of clowns.
Sebae anemones like the H. Aurora and H. Malu will stay near the rock and sand interface and will host some clowns (pink skunks, sebae, maybe clarkii). Sebae H. crispa, the larger of the sebae nems, will most often settle near the rock sand interface and will host several species of clowns, however, some specimens of crispa have been known to plant their foot up in the rockscape so there is a slight risk with that one getting close to your corals. That's about it for hosting anemones that plant themselves near the sand bed.
Thanks for the info! I did not really know that Sebaes would host clown so I will start looking into them!!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back