Best choice for macro algae in reactor

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a chaeto reactor for my 10g and when I put it on line it worked a bit too well. Chaeto is just too aggressive and bottoms out my nutrients as soon as they’re added. It’ll go from a golf ball to full rector in just a couple days. Not to mention it drives ph uncomfortably high.

I don’t need the reactor so much for nutrient control as I have to dose PO4 daily and nitrates aren’t an issue. I would however like to have some macroalgae to boost and even out ph (just not as much of a boost). I was thinking of trying dragons breath but wanted to ask for opinions on what might suit me best.

OP
OP
danimal1211

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually tried for a few days an alternating light cycle. Partially on during display light on, partially when off, while that decreased the overall ph swing, the nutrients were still being depleted and growth was still rapid, which is what I’d like to avoid. Correct me if I’m wrong but plants (algae included) absorb nutrients 24/7 while photosynthesis only happens when lights are on.

It seems a slower growing macroalgae that consumes fewer nutrients would be a better choice.

OP
OP
danimal1211

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sledge hammer it certainly was! When all I wanted was Andy Dufresne’s rock hammer. Which is what I’d still like to have if I can.
I appreciate the suggestions. I understand if I wasn’t all too clear that I did want to raise Ph a bit and do so with an alternating light cycle to reduce the diurnal swings.
It is not a necessity, it is however something I would like to experiment with. I would like the overall benefits of a Refugium but am limited to an external option. The additional water volume seemed to be an added bonus as well.

1696891223661.jpeg

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not grow something you can sell or trade in at LFS. ORA dragons breath for instance.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the Model # on your algae reactor?

As I remember algae reactors. a flat macro algae like Dragons Breath would plug up your reactor.

Constant pH is an artificial goal that I question the necessity for. Healthy IndoPacific reefs fluctuate between 8.2 and 7.8 pH

What is in your 3 month old 10G tank that needs those tight controls. I would guess you are seeking SPS standards for maximizing alkalinity demanding corals.

OP
OP
danimal1211

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two little fishies 150 reactor. I realize this subject gets debated quite hotly here and my intent isn’t reinventing the wheel nor chasing Meckley like Ph. I just wanted a refugium with some chaeto. In my past tanks I had room in the back chambers. This one I do not. I saw benefit in having the additional water volume of that reactor. I did not expect such a drastic explosion of growth and it went well past what I intended it for which was just a slight bump in ph and a little added nutrient export for feeding heavy handed. I took it offline.
I would still like a refugium if it could be done without such drastic results. It’s not a necessity though. It’s certainly not worth getting the 3rd degree over. Happy reefing!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two little fishies 150 reactor. I realize this subject gets debated quite hotly here and my intent isn’t reinventing the wheel nor chasing Meckley like Ph. I just wanted a refugium with some chaeto. In my past tanks I had room in the back chambers. This one I do not. I saw benefit in having the additional water volume of that reactor. I did not expect such a drastic explosion of growth and it went well past what I intended it for which was just a slight bump in ph and a little added nutrient export for feeding heavy handed. I took it offline.
I would still like a refugium if it could be done without such drastic results. It’s not a necessity though. It’s certainly not worth getting the 3rd degree over. Happy reefing!
No one is giving you the third degree, just trying to figure out how to help you.

OP
OP
danimal1211

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I apologize if I over reacted. the reactor does have plates on either side with holes through. These were enough to keep the chaeto in there without getting sucked through the return line. I could fashion some sort of additional screening if necessary. I’ll look around online and see if I can find something acrylic that would fit the bill.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I apologize if I over reacted. the reactor does have plates on either side with holes through. These were enough to keep the chaeto in there without getting sucked through the return line. I could fashion some sort of additional screening if necessary. I’ll look around online and see if I can find something acrylic that would fit the bill.
I am familiar with that reactor. It was designed for Chaetomorphy. A flat macro like Dragon's Breath or Ulva will pile up at discharge plate restricting flow.

Blaxsun suggested shorter photo period, Less intense light would work also.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danimal1211

Refugiums do not need to be illuminated. I use cryptic refugiums to grow pods and feed the tank live food.

My youngest growout is 2.5 yeats old. HOB filers with reef rubble cultivate amphipods & copepods

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
danimal1211

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the suggestions. I like the idea a little more of the cryptic fuge at this point and will research or just having it be an empty volume of water. Either way thank you all.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a chaeto reactor for my 10g and when I put it on line it worked a bit too well. Chaeto is just too aggressive and bottoms out my nutrients as soon as they’re added. It’ll go from a golf ball to full rector in just a couple days. Not to mention it drives ph uncomfortably high.

I don’t need the reactor so much for nutrient control as I have to dose PO4 daily and nitrates aren’t an issue. I would however like to have some macroalgae to boost and even out ph (just not as much of a boost). I was thinking of trying dragons breath but wanted to ask for opinions on what might suit me best.
You will drive yourself to distraction using biology to control and maintain pH. Algae reactors are good for and meant to consume nitrate. They also seem to do well at maintaining a nitrate by adjusting the photo period length and in some cases light intensity.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danimal1211

Consider stuffing algae reactor with plastic media to increase available surface area that grows a biofilm to feed pods.

On 120G reef, this is a diy (3’ high 3” diameter) algae reactor that became too much maintenance cleaning inside of 3” clear PVC. I have since turned out the lights and placed eggcrate (light diffuser) into cylinder void.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 48

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can testify the effectiveness of chaeto... it is literally the only thing enabling me to keep my cleaner wrasse. Whole cubes of hikari crustaceans daily and the tank is still nitrateless. Maybe you can try caulerpa? When I had bubble caulerpa it made much less of a dent on my nitrate numbers, although I had a bit of a hard time keeping it alive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back