Best controller for DIY (reefledlights) LEDs? Neptune or DA?

Rskillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nasty LED kit coming in next week and my Reefkeeper 2 won't support the dimming/advanced functions of LEDs.

So, what controller is best for LEDs right now? I like my Reefkeeper 2, but I've heard the Neptune is ahead of the DA right now for LED support?

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know for dimming light's but Neptune is the best im hearing right know since you could check and control everything from an Iphone
I'm getting one for my new build
So if it works for dimming lights get Neptune

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Apex. If you do go that route, be sure to get the regular Apex and not the Lite version (assuming you want dimming). The lite version doesn't have the variable outputs you need.

CJ

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading around and it seems the consensus is the apex. I am very unaware of what the needs are of a apex unit for light dimming only (pretty basic).
controller, DC8 or 4, and VDM(per driver or is one enough)? is that all the parts needed for LED light dimming?

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why wont your reefkeeper control it? im running 2) 48 led kits from bill and am controlling them with my RKL and 2 ALC units and they work fine. im assuming that you dont have 2 open ports to add the ALC's?...

Last edited:

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt get a RKL yet. Ok all I would need is the RKL and the ALC? No other modules are needed?

BTW, how u doing bro???

doing good, im running my RKL 1 with 2) ALC modules and they work fine:wink: one ALC unit controlls 4 meanwell 60-48d drivers via the two 0-10v ports just fine youll even have one extra port on your RKL to add another module if needed/wanted

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doing good, im running my RKL 1 with 2) ALC modules and they work fine:wink: one ALC unit controlls 4 meanwell 60-48d drivers via the two 0-10v ports just fine youll even have one extra port on your RKL to add another module if needed/wanted

what's the difference with the PC4 and the ALC? I'm guessing the driver output goes through the ALC.. the PC4 takes the driver input(110v)?

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the PC4 is actually like a power strip that you can turn on/off automaticlly with the RKL. the ALC module is the one that actually controlls the ramping for the LEDs. NONE of my drivers are connected to my PC4, i just have them plugged into 2 seperate power strips so i can use the outlets on the PC4 for other controllable/timeable devices.

sorry for the slight derail... back to the topic...:wink:

Last edited:

Glenn

Reefer and Model Railroad
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NONE of my drivers are connected to my PC4, i just have them plugged into 2 seperate power strips

So you are constantly sending 120v thru your driver and relying on the 0-10v line to turn the LEDs off? I've heard of doing it this way but never quite felt safe about it. I have my drivers plugged into the Apex's EB8 and turn the outlet on or off via the EB8 programming. The Variable Speed outlet then control the intensity of the LEDs.

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the PC4 is actually like a power strip that you can turn on/off automaticlly with the RKL. the ALC module is the one that actually controlls the ramping for the LEDs. NONE of my drivers are connected to my PC4, i just have them plugged into 2 seperate power strips so i can use the outlets on the PC4 for other controllable/timeable devices.

sorry for the slight derail... back to the topic...:wink:

Thats the problem with RKL you have to have more then on ALC unit.... to run more then 4 drivers. Apex can run up to 6 drivers per port thats 24 drivers on ONE UNIT! Saves my money there. I am running 6 drivers on my ONE apex unit. That would be 3 ALC thats 300 bucks on just ALC not worth my time.
Apex all the way I can control my lights from across the country and would rather use apex ANY DAY!

For reefkeeper to control drivers you would need RKL and to ALC modules and thats all you can do you WILL NOT be able to hook up more modules. With this you are spending.

ReefkeeperL - 107.99
2 ALC - 79.99 each total of $270

But if you want to add more modules you will not be able to because the RKL can only hook up 4 modules.... To me thats useless.

Reefkeeper Elite - $400
2 ALC - 80 each Total $560 This is only if your working with 4 drivers.... if more drivers put up more cash!

Later if you want to add internet to just be able to see what your parameters are not control the RKE add another $100...

Apex lite - $360 please VDM 100 total $460 total for 24 drivers

Or

Apex elite version $450 total has everything needed. VDM built in (24 drivers). Internet built in. You dont have to buy anything else forever... If you want to add little units sure you can add up to over 200+ modules...

Clearly for me APEX WINS.

To Glenn I have the same way with my Apex. I run my power to my drivers on normal wall outlet. Then run my RJ45 cable to my apex for ramping/on/off. Been doing it for a while. Saves room on the EB8. There is no reason to have them on the EB8 to have then turn on/off as all that does is give power to the driver, but without the voltage of the APEX the LEDS get no power.

Last edited:

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are constantly sending 120v thru your driver and relying on the 0-10v line to turn the LEDs off? I've heard of doing it this way but never quite felt safe about it. I have my drivers plugged into the Apex's EB8 and turn the outlet on or off via the EB8 programming. The Variable Speed outlet then control the intensity of the LEDs.
i could just plug in my power strips into 2 of the outlets on the pc4 if i felt there was an issue, but none at the time.

Thats the problem with RKL you have to have more then on ALC unit.... to run more then 4 drivers. Apex can run up to 6 drivers per port thats 24 drivers on ONE UNIT! Saves my money there. I am running 6 drivers on my ONE apex unit. That would be 3 ALC thats 300 bucks on just ALC not worth my time.
Apex all the way I can control my lights from across the country and would rather use apex ANY DAY!

For reefkeeper to control drivers you would need RKL and to ALC modules and thats all you can do you WILL NOT be able to hook up more modules. With this you are spending.

ReefkeeperL - 107.99
2 ALC - 79.99 each total of $270

But if you want to add more modules you will not be able to because the RKL can only hook up 4 modules.... To me thats useless.

Reefkeeper Elite - $400
2 ALC - 80 each Total $560 This is only if your working with 4 drivers.... if more drivers put up more cash!

Later if you want to add internet to just be able to see what your parameters are not control the RKE add another $100...

Apex lite - $360 please VDM 100 total $460 total for 24 drivers

Or

Apex elite version $450 total has everything needed. VDM built in (24 drivers). Internet built in. You dont have to buy anything else forever... If you want to add little units sure you can add up to over 200+ modules...

Clearly for me APEX WINS.

To Glenn I have the same way with my Apex. I run my power to my drivers on normal wall outlet. Then run my RJ45 cable to my apex for ramping/on/off. Been doing it for a while. Saves room on the EB8. There is no reason to have them on the EB8 to have then turn on/off as all that does is give power to the driver, but without the voltage of the APEX the LEDS get no power.

i got the RKL 1, 2 ALC modules for 220.00 ... thats a deal! i only wanted a controller for my lights so why would i fork over 400+ for so many drivers i would never use? i still have expandability for one more module, the PC4 outlets, add and control moon light pods with the ALCs... i can understand the needing/wanting the controllability over the net/iphone if you travel alot, but i still dont think i would want it as id be checking on my tank too much. pretty much its all up to the owner to decide on what they really want to control, if you have that many devices to controll by all means go with the apex, but if you only need/want to control your lights, id say the reefkeeper is the best bang for your buck IMHO...

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with prices online. I did not get it for all extra stuff is a plus. But what if a user needs 12 drivers or more a rkl plus 3 alc units will not help him as the apex will..... this being on a maybe 300 gallon tank... I am using total of 6 drivers now. And I am adding high noon lights and extra leds total of 10 drivers I am running. Rkl is useless to me then ad I would have to buy two. Two alc units and rk for 220 is cheap yes but sounds use. New would be 300+

I agree for small tank and light only rkl wins. For bigger tanks 120 or above apex wins. Have to take in consideration what size tank the person has and how many drivers they will use. Its why I put all the cost above. 4-5 drivers rkl/e 6-24 drivers apex.

Sent from my EVO.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could just plug in my power strips into 2 of the outlets on the pc4 if i felt there was an issue, but none at the time.

i got the RKL 1, 2 ALC modules for 220.00 ... thats a deal! i only wanted a controller for my lights so why would i fork over 400+ for so many drivers i would never use? i still have expandability for one more module, the PC4 outlets, add and control moon light pods with the ALCs... i can understand the needing/wanting the controllability over the net/iphone if you travel alot, but i still dont think i would want it as id be checking on my tank too much. pretty much its all up to the owner to decide on what they really want to control, if you have that many devices to controll by all means go with the apex, but if you only need/want to control your lights, id say the reefkeeper is the best bang for your buck IMHO...

+1 I just need it for lights as well. I'm looking at 4 drivers but maybe 6 at most. Depends on my configuration

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with prices online. I did not get it for all extra stuff is a plus. But what if a user needs 12 drivers or more a rkl plus 3 alc units will not help him as the apex will..... this being on a maybe 300 gallon tank... I am using total of 6 drivers now. And I am adding high noon lights and extra leds total of 10 drivers I am running. Rkl is useless to me then ad I would have to buy two. Two alc units and rk for 220 is cheap yes but sounds use. New would be 300+

I agree for small tank and light only rkl wins. For bigger tanks 120 or above apex wins. Have to take in consideration what size tank the person has and how many drivers they will use. Its why I put all the cost above. 4-5 drivers rkl/e 6-24 drivers apex.

Sent from my EVO.

i agree that the RKL is much more limited as to how many options you can run off it. as for tank size, i have a 150g and only 8 drivers running 96 Leds and like i stated earlier if i "needed" i could add another mod. and still be cheaper. as for my controller/mods, they were bought brand new on sale, at some places if you pick up a "package" deal they might work with you on pricing, but back to the OP...

Rskillz how big is your tank? how many leds/drivers are you getting? since you already have a RKL, how many modules are you running? are you just looking for a controller to ramp your leds? between me and snoopie your getting honest opinions from both sides. a little more info of what youre looking to do could really help you out in your decision.

Last edited:

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he said 4? If so RKL is best. If you are going to run 4 drivers you will need 2 ALC also for 6 you may only need 2 not sure maybe 3 at most. If your running RKL then thats all you can do. If you have any other modules on there net, or anything else you will have to take one off.

Hwn thats a good price man I got my Apex elite with two PH probe and orp for 450. Thats usually a $650 package. Got it as a package with LEDS. At first I was looking into the RK because it was cheaper but with 6 drivers now and adding 4-5 more because I was going to run a small pico side to it and more XP-G LED's Apex was the way. With 11 drivers I would need 4 ALC modules thats $320 in modules alone. Apex only need one. But hey we b oth got good deals and its all good. GR808 if your running 4-6 you should be good.

To run the least amount of drivers run 24 LEDs per driver with parallel wiring. If you do single strands you would have to run one drivers per 12 LED's with parallel you can do 24 LED's per driver.

Rskillz - What size tank you have. How many LED's are you getting and what type are they? What model drivers also? If I knew this info I can help you more. You say monster I am thinking 10+ drivers. If so let me know.

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, for 4 drivers you really only need 1 ALC. 2 per dim port.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back