Best DC Return Pump for 65 gallon

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm nearly finished setting up my very first saltwater tank (65 gallon), but I've yet to pick out a return pump. For some reason I can't seem to decide on a pump and I just have a bad feeling I'll make a bad purchase and live to regret it. The two main pumps I've narrowed my focus down to are the Sicce SDC 6.0 and the Reef Octopus Varios 2. Both seem to be very good purchases, but I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get. Any advice on which one is better or any other pump suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is hard to go wrong with either of those options! I have a Varios 6 and several Sicce pumps - they're all great!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that either return pump would be a good choice. If you really want the best look at the Abyzz pumps. I've learned in this hobby to never ask what the "best" of anything is, because there is also some ultra premium brand that costs a fortune.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 95g cube, I am running a Vectra S2. This pump is quite awesome. I love the idea of calibrating the flow rate. I only have one drain and I am always adjusting the gate valve. Every time someone flushes the toilet I am tinkering with the gate valve to adjust the drain to the return. Forget it when the power goes off or if I had to turn off the pump, spend the next 30 minutes adjusting the gate valve.

The reason is if the flow is too high, the pump will drain the sump and suck in air bubbles or the water level is too high making the overflow ineffective because it doesn't skim the surface of the tank. However, if the flow is too low, it starts sucking air down the drain. Even if it doesn't suck in air, you can hear the water trickling down the overflow. Very very annoying.

Ever since I got the Vectra and calibrated the flow rate, I have not had to adjust the gate valve but one time. I have turned off the pump multiple times, go into feed mode.... the flow has always returned to where it was. This pump is is nothing short of amazing.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the Sicce SDC 6.0 last night, so I can't report on its performance, but after tons of reading I feel good about my choice.
I have one powering my UV and it’s super quiet. Very inexpensive to operate as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back